• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Really loud exhaust.

bullet18

Reaction score
I just put 2 3x24in glasspacks and an h-pipe on my low comp 440 in my challenger. Previously I had no exhaust at all and, while it is quieter, its still pretty loud. I haven't tested it outside of the garage but i have a feeling the sheriff down the street isnt gonna approve. i have a really low budget and just want to do everything i can to make it quieter. right now the exhaust ends with 45 degree elbows right after the glass packs. The exhaust is gonna exit right in front of the rear wheel because im fabbing the whole thing my self i dont want to bend it over the rear axle. i might be able to fit 12in glasspacks after the elbows but im no sure yet. is there anything i can do with the exhaust tips to make it quieter like turn downs or a y pipe to lower the pressure waves escaping the pipe? Ive googled it and all i get is ricers who want to make their cars louder with exhaust tips.

gzig5

Reaction score
get rid of the glasspacks and put in real chambered muffler in their place. Lots of options and they aren't expensive new. Hell you can probably get a couple out of a junk yard cheap if you have to. GP were never meant to be a quiet muffler.

Ccas

FEBO Vendor
FEBO Vendor
Reaction score
You hit the trifecta for sound.
1. glass packs
2. no tailpipes
3. H-pipe
Since you are not running tailpipes and the H-pipe is already purchased, you don't have many options. A siamese style x-pipe would quiet it down some. Running a pair of 4x9x14" packed mufflers will make a big difference. DynoMax Superturbo's are real quiet. Magnaflow mufflers and Pypes Race Pro's are the next quietest but you are looking at spending at least $120/pr.

DrEamer

Reaction score
Here is a great video that explains the difference in styles of mufflers. It is Dynomax demo, but the principles are the same for all the brands. There are some lower cost brands such as Thrush (which is owned by Dynomax) that will be quieter, but cost effective.

aussiemark

Reaction score
I hate loud exhausts nothing is more tiring then having to hear a loud noise on a long trip. Some people associate a loud exhaust with power but it isn't the case sometimes you see a young guy in a Honda Civic or whatever with the cannon pipe and it just sounds terrible and the car is no quicker then one with a standard exhaust. I have had new exhausts fitted and been told it will get quieter with some mileage put on it but have taken the car back a month latter and told them to make it quieter.

wedg2go

Reaction score
I agree with Aussie! Especially, long trips and listening to that irritating drone that is often associated with loud exhaust.

DrEamer

Reaction score
I put a little more thought into this, and remembered some of the things that we did when I was drag racing. A lot of the guys would run various types of inserts in the exhaust pipes for the muffler required events. There are a lot styles out there, but the Patriot muffler inserts get good reviews, and are cheap at around $20 a side. I have no experience with them, but might be worth the look.

bullet18

Reaction score
Thanks for all the suggestions, ill be sure to look into them! The reason i didn't go with an x pipe is because i fabricated the whole thing from a 10 ft pipe and 45 elbows. I used a hole saw, a v block, and some c clamps to notch the tubing for the h pipe. The header collectors aren't level so i had to do some trig to get the h pipe to line up but i would've never been able to fit an x pipe. Ive got about 22 inches between the elbow and the rocker which should be enough for most mufflers. Should i get turn downs for the exit so i dont fry my paint? I saw a kid at my highschool who took some flexible exhaust pipe and ran it out the passenger side and up the quarter panel to the roof. This was a gmc envoy of all things. All the paint near the exhsust was trashed from the heat.

quapman

Reaction score
As I suggested in your other thread, a cheap pair of turbo mufflers under the back seats, with turn downs should do the trick.

bullet18

Reaction score
As I suggested in your other thread, a cheap pair of turbo mufflers under the back seats, with turn downs should do the trick.
Am i gonna have any problems if i put them behind the glasspacks?

bullet18

Reaction score
This is what i currently have. If i can im thinking about getting offset turbo mufflers and extending the elbows back so the offset puts the output infront of the rear tire and the mufflers clear the subframe connectors.

20190210_120152.jpg

quapman

Reaction score
I see no issue with any additional mufflers aft of the glasspacks.

bullet18

Reaction score
I see no issue with any additional mufflers aft of the glasspacks.
ill measure for them next time im home. Summit has some 3x13x18 ones for $28 a piece. Ive just gotta make sure they clear everything. itll be nice to be able to go faster than idle without alerting the entire neighborhood and hopefully ill be able to hear if anything is wrong with the engine.

6PKRTSE

Reaction score
Can't be louder than my Challenger. Dynomax bullet mufflers off of the collectors. Our local Drag Radial street tire class rules say must run mufflers. It fits the rules. Obviously, not on the street though.

20160713_164732.jpg

Knock Out

Reaction score
Back in high school my buddy had a 340 duster,
Had glass packs with pipes exiting in front of rear tire like you
An off road racing buddy donated some slide in baffles off of a bug with a stinger he was building for a prerunner
They worked to quiet it down some and were easy to remove when we wanted to hear it
pretty cheap and did the trick

bullet18

Reaction score
Back in high school my buddy had a 340 duster,
Had glass packs with pipes exiting in front of rear tire like you
An off road racing buddy donated some slide in baffles off of a bug with a stinger he was building for a prerunner
They worked to quiet it down some and were easy to remove when we wanted to hear it
pretty cheap and did the trick
I looked at those but I ended up going with summit turbo mufflers. I originally wanted to still have the exit exhaust but it isnt gonna work with the subframe connectors, so im going to get or make some turndowns.

moparleo

Reaction score
Back in the seventies I worked for a muffler mfg and I made glass packs. The farther from the exhaust manifold, the more effective the muffler is. That is why most all modern muffler systems are behind the rear axle right in front of the rear bumper. Modern muffler technology is lightyears ahead of the old "hi-performance" systems of short length, large inside diameter, fiberglass rolled Balogna shaped exhaust. In the old days the GM Corvair Turbo muffler was the top tech muffler. The Mopar guys would use the large Imperial mufflers for low restriction, quiet exhaust systems. If you want quiet, you can't really go small. Just like a silencer/suppressor on a rifle, to quiet the noise, you have to baffle the sound waves. More noise, larger muffler. Hooker has some new tech muffler available now. But quality will cost money.

Back