• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

axle seals

booyaballer

Reaction score
I need to replace the passenger side seal on the rear end (8.75 rearend). is there anything else anyone would suggest i replace or consider doing while i'm in there?

thanks in advance

Adam

Reaction score
Well I don’t know what you are working on but I would consider the brake shoes; look closely at the wheel cylinder for leakage, and if it’s a 70 with left hand threads on the studs I’d change them too..... although that might be the driver’s side, I can’t recall and am too tired to look it up.

moparleo

Reaction score
Now would be a good time to do them both. Brakes too. Make sure that the axles are not worn where the seal surface is. There are axle saver seals available if worn. Clean and repack the roller bearings while the axles are out for service. Try to do any service that you do on your car completely. It is over 40+ years old and it doesn't hurt to give it a little love. You also get to know more about your car. Get a service manual if you don't already have one. It is your cars Bible and you shouldn't be with out one.

Adam

Reaction score
LH threads are a good thing, you see it a lot on trucks it helps stop wheel nuts working loose.
Not trying to argue, but do they? I have never had RH lug nuts work themselves loose. Also the factory stopped using them, so were the LH lugs marginally helpful, too expensive, or too many tire guys busted the LH studs?

Grady Cain

Reaction score
Not trying to argue, but do they? I have never had RH lug nuts work themselves loose. Also the factory stopped using them, so were the LH lugs marginally helpful, too expensive, or too many tire guys busted the LH studs?

I think Ma Mopars thought process was that they would be less prone to loosening but properly torqued right-hand thread lugs should never spin off regardless of speed. In my 30+ years as a mechanic I have never seen it happen unless negligence in torquing/tightening was involved. Mopar abandoned it for a reason (could be one or all of the things Adam listed) and I have never seen any documented proof that it helped in any way. Just kind of a cool and quirky Mopar thing...

aussiemark

Reaction score
Probably tyre shop guys snapping them off with impact guns, they are still used on trucks mostly Japanese trucks I haven't had RH threads come loose on cars or trucks either but in theory they aren't a bad thing I like them on my 70 cars because they are unusual on cars and I like to keep things original. You can probably change the studs without removing the axle just tap them out and draw the new ones in with a spacer and wheel nut. One good thing about RH threads is most torque wrenches only work this way so if you want to tighten the nuts correctly with a torque wrench it makes it easier (no need for a special wrench).

Last edited:

booyaballer

Reaction score
somehow this convo shifted mostly about thread direction lol. nonetheless, there were some good tips.

i discovered there were no oil seals which is why it was leaking. according to the manual it requires two gaskets for the axle assembly, one appears to be made of foam and the other a typical gasket. i found the foam gasket at classic industries but not the other. i suppose I can make my own. i'm probably overthinking this but does the gasket thickness matter?
Thanks again.

Back