• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

South Texas Newbie

956jd70

Reaction score
Hello everyone! Got my hands on a rust heap '70 Challenger 318 3-speed. Most would consider it too far gone and my family thinks I've lost my mind but this thing makes me smile. I'm very new to welding and wrenching so the hope is to learn along the way. Seeing all the help provided by this forum gives me the encouragement I need. Thanks and wish me luck!

image3.jpeg

budascuda

Reaction score
Welcome to the site.
I love your challenger and it does make me smile too. How about some background on the car?

You have great mopar people here and you'll have no problem getting good advice, I wish you the best of luck!

956jd70

Reaction score
Welcome to the site.
I love your challenger and it does make me smile too. How about some background on the car?

You have great mopar people here and you'll have no problem getting good advice, I wish you the best of luck!

Well thanks for the reply! I don't know too much history on it at the moment. I can tell you that I paid $500 in the deepest part of TX for it and it came with the original 318 3spd. It has a "V02 EW1" code. Not sure how rare that is but still pretty cool to me.

I popped the heads off over the weekend only to discover the worst case of internal rusting I've ever seen. So now it's time to consider an engine swap or a complete hot tank/rebuild. This is supposed to be a budget rat-build for now. Here's a shot of the motor for y'all to enjoy.

IMG_7721.JPG

IMG_7955.jpg

Last edited:

340challconvert

Reaction score
Suggestion; pick up a nice 360 small block. They are common enough so that you don't have to bust the bank. They can be worked in any number of ways (stock, stroked) and have plenty of parts available. I wouldn't sink too much money into that 318.(340's have gotten harder to find and more expensive)
JMO
Best of luck with your plans for the car.

Grady Cain

Reaction score
Welcome from NW CT. You definitely have your work cut out for you but it will be rewarding. Lots of us here ready to help - just ask. Please keep us up-to-date on your progress...

moparlee

Reaction score
Welcome to the site from mid Michigan. Sounds like you are not doing a full restoration, but just enough work to get her road worthy. Sounds like a good plan. How are the frame rails? Looks like that 318 was at the bottom of the Gulf of Mexico:eek:

Knock Out

Reaction score
Welcome welcome
Agree on the 360
I have had several 360”s in my pre 1973trucks
No smog a little head work
Edelbrock LD 340 manifold
Carter fab 625
Headers
Mild purple cam
Electronic ignition
You will be happy and not broke

Cuda Hunter

Reaction score
Welcome!
a vo2 ew1. that's awesome. What is the bottom color of the car?
Not many of those come up for sale. Not many made.
How about the fender tag readout?

956jd70

Reaction score
Welcome to the site from mid Michigan. Sounds like you are not doing a full restoration, but just enough work to get her road worthy. Sounds like a good plan. How are the frame rails? Looks like that 318 was at the bottom of the Gulf of Mexico:eek:
Road worthy is the plan for now. the 318 is definitely a boat anchor, but I'm so tempted to clean it all and see if it'll run only because it's all i can do before coming up with an affordable engine swap. The pushrods are pitted and the rocker arms arent so circular at the pivot hole so maybe I'll find some cheap valve train replacements. Frame rails are decent but will need some rust encapsulator.

956jd70

Reaction score
Welcome welcome
Agree on the 360
I have had several 360”s in my pre 1973trucks
No smog a little head work
Edelbrock LD 340 manifold
Carter fab 625
Headers
Mild purple cam
Electronic ignition
You will be happy and not broke
I definitely like the sound of this. I'll begin the 360 hunt. Thanks!

Cuda Hunter

Reaction score
Now that's an awesome car! Love the vo2. Very hard to find. Especially with b5 and a white stripe.

Yeah the 318 is a boat anchor but make sure you keep it around as when you sell it down the road it will actually help the value of the car.

You sure can build a 318 to be a very stout motor though. I have a friend with a 318 that most would swear was a 360 as it pulls very very hard!

Back