• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Steering wheel adapter options

ProSport

Reaction score
I have a 70 Challenger, I believe the steering wheel is a 72 style, 2 spoke.
It measures 15.25" diameter, too big for me. I'm gonna go with an aftermarket wheel such as Momo, Billet Specialties or Grant.
My question is, are there any steering wheel adapter kits to avoid? I definitely don't want the wheel to end up closer to the drivers seat, if anything an inch towards the dash would be nice.
Thanks in advance for any info.

20190303_134655.jpg

valkman

Reaction score
Also Grant makes an aftermarket tuff wheel thats a bit smaller and it's a direct bolts on no adapter needed. I put it on my Challenger and like it a lot

ProSport

Reaction score
I had that grant tuff wheel on my Duster and liked it. I'm thinking I need something a little smaller than that but not positive. I love my Corbeau seats but my legs are up against the stock wheel.

bullet18

Reaction score
Avoid doing this... the splines were trashed from the previous owner using vice grips as a steering wheel so i had to adapt the column directly to the wheel. Im installing a new column so i dont impale myself. If you eliminate the crush can you arent likely to end up with the steering wheel closer to you.

15525948418757734011107759672998.jpg

rogue

Reaction score
ProSport... unrelated to the steering wheel question... i really like the custom gauges in your dash... did you do that work yourself? if so, can you share some details on what you did? if not, who did it?

ProSport

Reaction score
Rogue, the dash was finished when I bought the car, it is probably an aftermarket piece but I have no idea where it's from.

ProSport

Reaction score
I think I'm going to sell the stock steering wheel and go with a Grant wheel and adapter.

burntorange70

Reaction score
Grant adapter is pretty good. The horn mechanism is chincy junk though. Has a spring that is to stiff and mounting that is not very good.

Horn cap has a habit of coming off due to to much spring pressure and then your horn is stuck on.

Think the stock horn stuff will transfer over from what I been told. Not done it myself so not sure. I just cut down the spring in the Grant kit.

If you want the wheel closer to the dash you may be able to take off and just not use the spacer if your car has one. But that will give you more like three inches difference. Turn signal switch may also need bent slightly to clear the wheel.

CMC

Reaction score
ProSport... unrelated to the steering wheel question... i really like the custom gauges in your dash... did you do that work yourself? if so, can you share some details on what you did? if not, who did it?

I think those are Auto-meter; aren't they?

ProSport

Reaction score
Yes they are Autometer carbon fiber gauges. I thought he meant the gauge cluster that holds the gauges. This is my first Ebody so I don't even know what the stock dashboards look like.

CMC

Reaction score
Well, welcome to EBODY!
I'm no expert but there are 2 different dash sets. This one is the "standard dash", but with the Auto meter gages replacing the factory gages. .
The 2nd dash set is the rallye or rally Dash which has 4 large openings....
Usually a speedo, tach, clock space and then 4 gages fitted into 1 spot, and a woodgrain appearance. ...
:)))

rogue

Reaction score
i was actually interested in the mounting of the gauges, not the brand... i'm interested in doing something like that on mine and was hoping to gain insight into how they're mounted

CMC

Reaction score
Yes, me too. I checked into it once.
I think if I remember correctly they slide right into that gage slot AND are made for the correct size and have a mounting bracket of some kind for the rear..

Fairly sure A/M knows and u might message them on ebay to double check...:)

ProSport

Reaction score
Yes the gauges slide tightly into the cluster housing, then the aluminum autometer brackets hold the gauge in place on the backside.
The small gauges are 2 5/8 and the large speedometer is probably 5" but I'll have to measure it.
I found black plastic plugs that fit the holes perfectly where the old dummy lights went, I drilled a hole in them and installed an LED light. Came out great.

20190323_184829.jpg

20190323_184819.jpg

rogue

Reaction score
nice!!! thanks for the info... i've been looking at 2 5/8 inch gauges on autometer's site this evening

ProSport

Reaction score
I went with a 13" Grant wheel, I loved the stock wheel but now I have enough leg room to get in and out of the car without dislocating my knees.

Screenshot_20190325-224219_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20190325-224125_Gallery.jpg

Back