• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Cuda overhead console

Yu8mydust

Reaction score
Been a while since I've posted but still keeping at it. Got my Cuda running finally and working on the interior. I'm putting a overhead console in a non overhead console car. I think I've collected all the pieces ( I probably haven't) and am going to attempt this.

Does anyone know the wiring routing for the harness when it comes down from the roof? If you have any pictures it would be much appreciated also. Any old pictures seem to be archived so I can't find where the harness is supposed to go. I'll be sure to post some pictures of my progress on the car soon. After 18 years I might actually get to enjoy this beast now!

Yu8mydust

Reaction score
B15EFAB8-3910-45CA-A270-26E6099876B4.jpeg

Yu8mydust

Reaction score
I couldn't find it in their resources but there is a lot of good information on their site. Thank you for the suggestion

challenger6pak

Reaction score
I may be able to get a pic tomorrow. My Cuda came with the overhead console. I just have everything stirred up here due to getting hit by the hurricane. I don't know what I can get to the car.

Yu8mydust

Reaction score
Sorry you got hit by the hurricane, hope everyone is all right. I finally found an old thread after going through hundreds of posts. Looks like the harness goes down behind drivers door from the roof and forward to the driver kick panel after that. I think I have most of the connections figured, just been cleaning up some wiring. If anyone has pictures I still would like to see em.

douglas17

Reaction score
On my Gran coupe the wires for the overhead console, come out of the wire harness on the drivers side . There is a plug connector up on the wheel well. This then goes upward under the sail panel and then across the roof support in the center of the roof, to the center then strait forward toward the windshield.
Not sure how you are going to attach it up there ??? . I will include some pics of how it is mounted. Hope it helps.

DSCF5214 (640x480).jpg

DSCF5237 (640x480).jpg

DSCF5231.JPG

DSCF5329 (640x480) (2).jpg

DSCF5338 (640x480).jpg

DSCF5206 (640x480).jpg

challenger6pak

Reaction score
I got some pics of mine. The wiring has never been out. Seems I have to convert them so the site will post them. I'll be back.

douglas17

Reaction score
I will get some better pics of wires in car or from the manual.,later today .Nov 11/17. I will try to make more clear and where the wires start and stop. I have to resize my pics .to for website.

challenger6pak

Reaction score
Looks like Doug has it covered. My pics are the same in a black car.

Yu8mydust

Reaction score
Thank you Doug and 6pak, you guys are awesome. Those pictures will help A LOT with the wiring. Can you tell me what manual that is out of? It would be worth it for this project alone. I think it looks great but it looks kinda funny in the picture. I forgot to take one when it was in the sun. It seems that my dome light is missing a cover of some kind that goes over a sliding switch, know where I can find one?

Yu8mydust

Reaction score
I also found LED bulbs to replace the bulbs behind the console lense from batteries and bulbs, they have a website if anyone is interested in putting those in. Can't wait to get this thing working

douglas17

Reaction score
Good morning . Pic # 3 is the starting piece that goes into console first, painted gray. Pic #9 is the cover for over the switch you speak of. The new lens I got from Dante,s Mopar in NJ. The rest of the pieces your best bet is ebay. Or a place called Mopar City, Oregon IL. 815-732-7751. These are really nice people, they have a large salvage yard for mopars.
The wireing pics are from 1971 Chassis Service Manual. Section 8, page 204. Yes the pics not great. I am not sure if all the plugins are on all wire harnesses or not. I bought all new wire harness for the Gran Coupe model and the connections where built into the harness

DSCF5214 (640x480) (2).jpg

DSCF5215 (640x480).jpg

DSCF5217 (640x480).jpg

DSCF5295 (640x480) (2).jpg

DSCF5296 (640x480) (2).jpg

DSCF5298 (640x480).jpg

DSCF5305 (640x480) (2).jpg

DSCF5306 (480x640) (2).jpg

DSCF5311 (640x480) (2).jpg

challenger6pak

Reaction score
Looks like the complete dome light is missing. You can find them in some Plymouth Fury's and Dodge Polara's also. I believe it was a deluxe interior feature. It is the same light without the console. It will mount in your console. Otherwise you will be looking for the SE light that most people overprice.

Yu8mydust

Reaction score
I think I have all the pieces except for the cover in the last picture and the bulb. Good to know about the Fury and Polara, I'll have an easier time finding one of those. Appears no one seems to stock the bulb anymore so I'll have to look at some old stock suppliers.

challenger6pak

Reaction score
The bulb was discontinued. I found some and bought them years ago. I would go with the l.e.d. The original bulbs got hot and burnt lenses if a pin switch failed.

Cojohnso

Reaction score
Been a while since I've posted but still keeping at it. Got my Cuda running finally and working on the interior. I'm putting a overhead console in a non overhead console car. I think I've collected all the pieces ( I probably haven't) and am going to attempt this.

Does anyone know the wiring routing for the harness when it comes down from the roof? If you have any pictures it would be much appreciated also. Any old pictures seem to be archived so I can't find where the harness is supposed to go. I'll be sure to post some pictures of my progress on the car soon. After 18 years I might actually get to enjoy this beast now!
Did the Gran Coupes have additional framing for overhead console? I may have a line on one. And a need for mounting some race switching. Would solve a couple issues as well as keep dash access to a minimum at higher speeds.

Back