• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Would like some transmission advice

rogue

Reaction score
I ended up with a truck 727 from probably about the same year and did notice the stock shift linkage for the car would not connect to it... wasn't an issue for me because i'm using a cable shifter in the car i put it in... sorry i don't have the exact part number or even recall the exact difference... maybe someone else has more info or at least you can compare where the linkages connect to the 904 vs. the 727

73CudaMan

Reaction score
Thanks, any difference in truck gearing versus the car gearing for the trani? With the 727 truck trani replacing the 904 car trani, were you still able to salvage the trani cross member?

rogue

Reaction score
i'm not sure about the gear ratios... i actually just assumed 727's were consistent (which may have been a bad assumption)... i used the same crossmember

73CudaMan

Reaction score
i'm not sure about the gear ratios... i actually just assumed 727's were consistent (which may have been a bad assumption)... i used the same crossmember
This is great that you converted a 318/904 to 360/727. Now I know for my project 318/904 to 340/727 I can salvage the trani cross member. I found out that the truck (Dodge van) 727 length from bell housing to end of tailstock is the same exact as a 727 from a car at 34.39", so no more extra driveshaft shortening. I will shorten about 4". I am sure the van trani gears are fine since you had no problem with your truck trani. I will have a new throttle cable and I am not worried about the kickdown rod. I can use the Lokar kickdown cable for around $100 and SRK4000 carburetor bracket ($31). So far so good. The only thing that concerns me is the shifting linkage. Those 904 shifting rods might not work with the 727. You mentioned that you changed the shifting rods to shifting cables? If so, can you find out what cable kit you used. I would like to salvage my slap stick.

rogue

Reaction score
my posts have probably been a bit confusing... i have two cars, a challenger and a cuda... the challenger was changed from 318/904 to 360/727 but the 727 in that car was original to the year:
part number 3515844, late 1971 360, 1972 360 (and police/taxi 318)
The challenger retains the original slap stick and shift linkage... obviously the drive shaft had to be shortened.

The truck 727 i put in my 71 Cuda 340... that car has a b&m mega-shifter which is cable operated.

both cars use the original trans cross member. Also both cars have manual valve bodies that run full pressure and don't require kickdown... the lokar cable kick down is a great way to go, i did use that in the challenger when it still had the 904

73CudaMan

Reaction score
Starting to make sense now. I found out the truck van 727 tail stock is different than the car 727 tail stock with different shifter and throttle levers. That's why your car trani mated with the slapstick linkage but your truck trani would not and hence you had to get an aftermarket shifter.

How do you find driving the manual valve body? Do you like it for the street?

rogue

Reaction score
actually i had the cable shifter before i got the truck tranny... i like the manual valve bodies (have them in both cars)... these aren't daily drivers and i like the performance... if the were daily drivers or even driven quite a lot i would prefer a regular valve body with shift kit.

Back