• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Mini Starter

money pit

Reaction score
Is it true a starter out of a 92 Dodge Dakota can be used in an older 340 or 360 LA engine?
I was watching Garage Squad. They said this starter is a mini starter and can even be used in a big block. I heard there are two different starters for the Dakota. A short and a long body. Does anyone have a part number for the short version? Thanks

Cuda Hunter

Reaction score
I use them on my big blocks. Don't have a part number though.
I just go to the parts store and get a mini starter for a dakota. works every time.

hellrats

Reaction score
Yes it true, they are all the same. The longer one just has a longer armature housing for more torque. They will all interchange. Go to pull-a-part. You can get one for about 20 bucks.

money pit

Reaction score
Thanks guys for the info.i installed the TTI exhaust with my stock manifold. There's not much room between the starter and head pipe.

/sixchall

Reaction score
Not only does it work on most of your V8’s but also the good old Slant6. When I added headers to my Six in my ‘70 Challenger. Trying to get the old gear reduction starter off, even on the six. I had to snake it through the header pipes very carefully and weighing in at 15 lbs and hanging over a fender well.......but the mini weighing half the lb’s, it was a snap. I won’t go back, when you start up, no more of the distinguishing Chrysler starter sound. And lotsa torque. But hey, even a six. Thanks, Al

money pit

Reaction score
Not only does it work on most of your V8’s but also the good old Slant6. When I added headers to my Six in my ‘70 Challenger. Trying to get the old gear reduction starter off, even on the six. I had to snake it through the header pipes very carefully and weighing in at 15 lbs and hanging over a fender well.......but the mini weighing half the lb’s, it was a snap. I won’t go back, when you start up, no more of the distinguishing Chrysler starter sound. And lotsa torque. But hey, even a six. Thanks, Al
Did you use a starter from a Dakota? If so what year? Thanks

hellrats

Reaction score
Any year Dakota used it. Pick a 1995 with a 5.2 (318) It will fit. Even the V6 will work... all the same.

/sixchall

Reaction score
I believe it was an early ninetys 318 starter for a Dakota. But it works. I took my old starter to parts house to get the correct length to mesh up with the ring gear on flywheel.

Coupe

Reaction score
I put a mini starter on my 72 318 hoping the long tube headers could be removed mor easily. The starter works great but I still had to remove the starter to remove the header.

/sixchall

Reaction score
Coupe....fortunately I can remove the headers from my Slant6 without any great difficulty. I guess difference between the Six and the V8’s. This was one of the main reasons for the change, besides weight factor 7lb’s compared to 15lb’s.

Back