• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Leaking fuel pump?

bullet18

Reaction score
I think my fuel pump is leaking. Is that a thing that happens? Theres gas on top of the pump but not on the lines above the pump. If it is leaking should i get an electric pump or replace the mechanical one? Its a 78 440 big block. I literally just fixed my oil leaks and now this. Before that my transmission was leaking. My garage floor will never be the same.

20190518_190811.jpg

Daves69

Reaction score
I think my fuel pump is leaking.......
Leaking oil around the gasket or fuel?
IMO, if it is fuel, find out if the pump has leaked fuel into the crankcase (which is possible with a mechanical pump) diluting your oil. A raised oil level that smells of fuel is an indication you're leaking into the case. A new pump would be a must along with a complete oil change.

bullet18

Reaction score
Leaking fuel for sure. The oil smells like gas so i guess that means im changing the pump and the oil.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
While you have the pump off pull the pipe plug just below it and remove the pump pushrod and measure for length. These things wear out with the decrease of zinc in modern oils. I chased a fuel delivery issue in my Imperial for a good long time before I realized that the shaft was almost 3/8” shorter than it should be. that same car started to eat another in spite of running Penn Grade oil so now I run a auxiliary pusher electric pump and carry an extra pushrod in my traveler toolbox.

Cratos

Reaction score
I thought the brad penn oil was for older motors. to protect from this?
what pusher pump do you use?

DetMatt1

Reaction score
I thought the brad penn oil was for older motors. to protect from this?
what pusher pump do you use?
It is. I’m thinking that the used OEM fuel pump pushrod that I used to replace the first short one I found was likely A reproduction one that was not as hard as it should have been to begin with. I buy new ones now that are advertised to be hardened sufficiently.
The pusher pump I bought was a small bubble packaged unit that I got from the local auto value parts store and I believe was in a B and M package.

moparleo

Reaction score
Which ever way that you go, make sure to stick with a quality part. Lots of low quality import stuff out there. And of course always use a new fuel filter between the pump and carb.Transmission fluid is a highly detergent fluid. I use it to clean oil spots on the driveway. A little Tide, brush and nozzle on your garden hose will have your garage clean and fresh smelling.:thumbsup:

Back