• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

What Ignition are people running?

Litchkar

Reaction score
Hello friends
My 71 small block Stroker is having issues. Weak spark at idle, currently running factory electronic ignition with a chrome ECU. Frying coils and ecu every few months. I need a good reliable combination. Looked at MSD, FBO and Rev-n-ator systems. Who has a success story? Prefer to keep a stock look if possible.

Steve340

Reaction score
Not stock but I have all MSD had no problems at all in the 5 years I have owned the car.

tonysrt

Reaction score
I have 472 Hemi with MSD Distributor and MSD 6AL ignition box. 10 years and no problem.

Adam

Reaction score
I have two FBO systems, one for at least 10 years with no issues.

hellrats

Reaction score
Mopar HEI Conversion Been running this system for years. I'll never go back to the old Chrysler system. The purest my hate me for it but it's cheap and If I didn't show it to you, you would never know it was on my cars. Plus you can use your distributor which has the correct advance curve and NO ballast resistor.

/sixchall

Reaction score
My ‘70 Challenger w/ Slant6, Mopar elect. Ign. w/ orange box. 30 years with this good reliability and no problems.

Litchkar

Reaction score
Mopar HEI Conversion Been running this system for years. I'll never go back to the old Chrysler system. The purest my hate me for it but it's cheap and If I didn't show it to you, you would never know it was on my cars. Plus you can use your distributor which has the correct advance curve and NO ballast resistor.
Then what gm pars are needed? Do you still use the Mopar ECU?

rogue

Reaction score
MSD 6AL for 20 years in one car, MSD 6AL programmable in the other with MSD coil and distributor... no problems ever, runs great

hellrats

Reaction score
Then what gm pars are needed? Do you still use the Mopar ECU?
GM HEI module, no you do not use the Mopar module just the pick up. Click on the link it tell you everything about it. The Chrysler unit is just electronic it is not HEI. With HEI you get a lot hotter spark.

Adam

Reaction score
That looks like a good system, I am going to order one...
I am using a Pertronix 2 on my 1942 Dodge Carryall, with a flathead six. The unit fits inside the distributor, replacing the old points.

Last edited:

Steve340

Reaction score
It would replace it. Do you intend to use MSD distributor?
MSD would require some wiring but they are good units worth the trouble.

hellrats

Reaction score
I'm running the Pertronix 2 system on my VW beetle and it has been great so far. Been 3 years now. Burnt out a few at first until I found out that you have to run the correct coil with the system.

gzig5

Reaction score
Just ordered the FBO box, limiter plate, and springs. I already have the required coil and OE pointless distributor on the car so this was the easiest way to get into a known good, performance ignition system without breaking the budget. I'm confident this will work well for my 340 and should remove any doubts about the old OE controller. Don was also very gracious in setting me up with a kit price that didn't include the coil, and he offered assistance should I need it. Nice to have that level of customer support.

BcudaChris

Reaction score
I run that setup. I believe you will be happy with it. Not the most cost effective, but support is great and that plate sure beats the snot about out of filling/filing the advance slots. In my experience Don will be quite conservative in his guidance, but he knows what he's up to, that is for sure. Rev limiter feature is nice to have.

Back