• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

1970 Pro Touring AAR Cuda (not a real AAR of course)

daryld

Reaction score
Ok guys,

After 1.5 years of being in the shop getting a total redo, I finally got my 70 Cuda back and it is everything I could have hoped for and more. I purchased the car already restored back in 2010 with a 440/6 pack, TKO 600, Dana 60 and Magnumforce front suspension. Even though the car was nice, I knew it could be more. So the 440 is gone, replaced with a 6.4 392 Hemi. The TKO is still there with an all new hydraulic clutch. The Dana 60 is narrowed and mini-tubs were installed. A Control Freak 4-link replaced the leafs. New wheels from Rushforth (20x12 w 345/30/20 on the back). The entire car and trunk are coated with Lizard Skin. Fresh paint. There is more but you get the hint. I will let the pictures tell the rest of the story. Still working out some bugs and will be getting a custom interior in a few months, but for now I just want t enjoy her. If anyone has questions about these swaps just ask. I made a lot of costly mistakes along the way and don't want to see people duplicate these mistakes. Enjoy!

Daryl
Cuda 3.jpg
Cuda 5.jpg
Cuda 3.jpg
Cuda 5.jpg

Cuda 6.jpg

Cuda 7.jpg

Cuda 4.jpg

Cuda 1.jpg

Cuda 2.jpg

falcben

Reaction score
I love it! A lot of meat in the back tires.

If you have some 440 6 pack stuff leftover, let me know! :thumbsup:

moparlee

Reaction score
:welcome: to the site Daryl. Nice ride, you did a great job. There are some guys here that are doing and have already done that same 6.4 Hemi swap. I am sure they will chime in.

Hemi2c

Reaction score
Hi Daryl,
GREAT job!.

I was looking at going the 6.1 route.
I have a 73 Cuda.
Questions;:)
What do you have to do as far a the K frame to fit the engine?
I know you have the TKO600 but you may know the next question.
I would like to keep my A833 4 speed, any mod's required? (bell housing, flywheel, tail shaft changes)
What size rims and tires do you have on the front?
Thanks,
Al

rolling_thunder

Reaction score
Questions;:)
What do you have to do as far a the K frame to fit the engine? You will need a B/E body oil pan for the 6.1L - available through several places like Milodon. You will need a 45* oil filter adapter. Motor mount adapter brackets are available through TTI.

I would like to keep my A833 4 speed, any mod's required? (bell housing, flywheel, tail shaft changes) - Flywheel will be different - the 6.1L uses a different bolt pattern than the older LA/B/RB engine crank pattern. The small block bellhousing will bolt right up. The rear of the 6.1L uses a weird press in bushing for the automatic applications - remove it and utilize a roller adapter bearing for the 833.

I did the 6.1L swap in my 68 Charger - don't mean to step on the OP's shoes - just helping where I can.

Hemi2c

Reaction score
Thanks,
Rolling thunder,
Any help is much appreciated.

So the flywheel will need to be from a 6.1?
If the 6.1 comes out of a manual car will it still require the roller adapter?
Where can I get the roller adapter from?
What do I use for a clutch kit? To suit a 6.1 or ?

Would you have any pic's of the install?
Thanks heaps.
Al:thumbsup:

Martin

Reaction score
nice looking build. how much did you narrow the rear axel and what wheel size did you end up with. in the middle of a similar build now, but doing a 9”. with a four link, looks like i can go as far as 2” narrower each side for the axel.

rolling_thunder

Reaction score
So the flywheel will need to be from a 6.1? I purchased a unit off Ebay way back when. Now you can find them pretty affordable through American Powertrain - 130 and 143 tooth counts.

If the 6.1 comes out of a manual car will it still require the roller adapter? I believe the input shaft diameter is different between the TR6060 Tremec and the 833 (0.59" vs 0.75")- I sourced mine through Keisler but you can most likely source one through any of the 5-speed conversion places -

Where can I get the roller adapter from? see above

What do I use for a clutch kit? To suit a 6.1 or ? If you are keeping the 833 you can re-use the 833 clutch system - as long as the new flywheel you purchase has provisions for the 10.5 or 11 clutch pattern you're using

mpdlawdog

Reaction score
THAT IS FREAKING AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Im headed that way with my challenger!!!

pentastarnut

Reaction score
that is SMOKIN' ! i'm in Abita Springs and would LOVE to see it in person, maybe at our cruise night at the Pit Stop on Jefferson Hwy. first saturday of the month ...hint hint lol, harry 9857898351

CMC

Reaction score
I'm the autometer gauges, I was wondering if you used analog mechanical electrical or which ones are best suited to run with the new Hemi motor?

David B

Reaction score
I am star
SAM_3369.JPG
ting a 340 to 5.7 hemi (pull out engine from a Chry 300) swap in Jan 2020. The 70 Cuda has a TKO 600 xmission as well as electronic ignition. What were your costly mistakes. What items should I ensure come with the engine? ECM, accessories (serpentine system items), and starter. Anything else that I have not thought of?

Back