• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Slant 6 to 440

SFEbody

Reaction score
Ok so after getting on my body guy for months with slow or no work, they finally started on the trunk metal this week, After the trunk is replaced, drivers A pillar then I will inspect it pre paint..... I am getting excited now.

IMG_0873.JPG

IMG_0870.JPG

IMG_0869.JPG

IMG_0866.JPG

IMG_0865.JPG

340challconvert

Reaction score
I picked up an AMD qtr panel patch and the Goodmark version also.

Goodmark has an extended section that covers more of the wheel well. This may help you
img_3866-jpg.jpg

AMD is taller and shorter
amd-panel-jpg.jpg

Dino2 (1).gif

Adam

Reaction score
Make sure to save that fuel sender wire grommet, they are hard to find, at least when I was looking for one.

Jerry Foust

Reaction score
449 Ross Cemetery rd. Lake City Tennessee, 37769
Chrysler power steering, in my opinion, has too much assist. Maybe when I’m 80 I will like steering with one finger, but I doubt it.
Firm Feel is a company that offers steering boxes with 3 levels of firmness check their website and links.
Also, find and read the “Pump it down” article...

I have a Firm feel box (Stage 3, I think) and the pump it down mod in my 71 Chally and I love it. Compared to my old 70 Cuda it is wonderful....
Cop cars had firm feel boxes in them if you can find one at your local yard.

Knock Out

Reaction score
Very nice
What is the compression on your 440
Mine is 11 to 1
Not much vacuum so the hydro boost is great for the power brakes
Just something to think about

aussiemark

Reaction score
That last photo looks rough like trying to fill the holes with weld it should have a small weld at the top joining the patch to the panel the patch should have a bend in it and be plug or spot welded to the wheelhouse lip where the original panel is spot welded. Doing it like the photo creates a lot of heat from the welder and grinder and it will warp needing more filler then would be ideal. Proper patch panels are the way to go you get the correct contours and it makes a quicker and better quality repair you don't have to use the whole patch panel you just trim out what you need.

SFEbody

Reaction score
I agree 100% and thats what I told my body shop to do, however he and his "metal guy" decided to do it this way. I am going to see how GOOD the metal guy turns out. Told him today that before ANY filler goes on this car, I want to see the metal work, and if its not up to my perfection, patch panel labor is on him.

aussiemark

Reaction score
Too much heat from extra welding and grinding will burn the metal and make it rust latter on and it will have bits of MIG wire stuck to it and be lumpy on the inside where it is impossible to get to and you will have pin holes and very thin sections because the thickness is uneven. I am not a professional body repairer by any means but I would cut all that out and try again if it was me doing it. Patching is very difficult and time consuming to do properly it is far easier to replace the whole panel because then you just need to make sure it is fitted right and the welds go around the perimeter where the folds help prevent warping. If I was being paid by the hour to do a customer car I would rather replace the panel it's quicker (no bondo to sand back) and you are guaranteed a good result.

SFEbody

Reaction score
Mark you are spot on, I will see the results Saturday and I did not even think of the inside and how they would leave things.....stay tuned and thanks much for the feedback.

70cuda50

Reaction score
I am just starting this process with my Cuda vert. going from340 to 440. It is great watching yours make the transformation. Good luck with this most recent metal work challenge. I need to start a thread on mine.

moparlee

Reaction score
Trunk floor pan and extensions look good. What brand sheet metal are you using? The fit up looks to be good too.

Back