• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

door vin vs title vin

TRipnip51

Reaction score
door vin says HSNob440543
Title says JSnob440543
trans, engine, cowl say 440543
What gives? Having a really hard time documenting car Ive owned for 35 years! Thx Scott

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Is it a ‘70 Challenger R/T with a 383? If so then it’s JS23N0etc..and the door vin is a misprint.

Last edited:

challenger6pak

Reaction score
Look at the keyboard you used to type your post. You can see how the wrong key was hit. I've seen misstrikes on VIN tags also.

moparleo

Reaction score
:welcome: aboard. It would be nice to intro yourself as a new member and instead of just putting a bunch of numbers out there, Give us a hint of what they are for. Cuda ? Challenger ? year? We are glad to help but the more info we have, the better we can help you. Welcome again...We demand pictures !!:mob:

AUSTA

Reaction score
have had 70 challenger R/T since 1985. JS23NOB440543. Trying to track down original owner for info. I am 3rd owner. Think it was originally from marietta Roswell area. Any help appreciated. Think it was a v6f stripe car. any info how to get new dash vin when a dumbass replaced dash and didnt swap plate? Thx Scott
Did you find a dash Vin just hope the old one wasn't sold as they go do you know who done the dash might be some indicators underneath how old is the door tag may be the same person who ordered the incorrect replacement tag

rklein71

Reaction score
Door VIN sticker is not the official VIN, you can get a new one made and replace the misprint.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Door VIN sticker is not the official VIN, you can get a new one made and replace the misprint.
Or you can just go without like the rest of us whose cars were repainted many years ago when no one cared about the door decal.

RJHJR

Reaction score
I'd save the misprint. Its part of the car's history and it kinda makes it be one of one.

Cuda Hunter

Reaction score
Keep the original sticker on the door and put a reproduction sticker underneath the original.
If you pull the original sticker off the door there is a good chance it will rip.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Keep the original sticker on the door and put a reproduction sticker underneath the original.
If you pull the original sticker off the door there is a good chance it will rip.
I’m still trying to figure out how to get the new sticker under the old one without ripping the old one....:lol:

rbbruno3

Reaction score
If I were restoring the car to original, I would document original and replace with the same. If it can’t be saved repainting door jams.

Last edited:

Adam

Reaction score
The door jamb vin sticker is designed to destruct if it is removed. Law enforcement in California refers to this as a “Federal” vin tag. It is used to verify the dash or “public” vin. If the door jamb vin is defaced, removed, painted over, or unreadable, the vehicle may be searched (including engine and trans numbers) for another secondary vin (WITHOUT A WARRANT). If a secondary vin cannot be located or verified the car can be, and should be, towed to an impound lot for further inspection. If the vehicle in question is found to have an altered vin but ownership is not in dispute it will get a big ugly “blue tag” riveted to the door jamb by the CHP; and they stamp it overlapping the tag and door jamb area with no regard for the paint. If the ownership is in dispute there will be a hearing in front of a judge to determine the disposition of the vehicle.

To avoid this headache make sure the door jamb sticker is good to go..

Last edited:

Adam

Reaction score
FWIW, I am a retired cop, 31 years. As a patrol guy I recovered over a hundred “rolling stolen” cars; many vin switched. As a detective I busted two chop shops. As a detective lieutenant I oversaw many search warrants for stolen cars , parts & chop shops.

Once I tagged along with other detectives to a warrant where Edison thought the guy was stealing electricity; turns out he had a device/panel to bypass the meter inside his kitchen cabinets. The Edison boys removed the device crudely, wrecked his kitchen, and just cut the big power service cables feeding the property. The told me they would only turn the power back on once they certified it and they would “never certify it” as long as the same guy owned it.

While this was happening I noticed a nice looking Porsche Carrera in the driveway. I looked at the dash vin, located on the A pillar, and saw it was all scratched up. The secondary vin under the front was crudely brazed on. A third under the dash checked out, but the engine and trans numbers were ground off. A few calls to the NICB and I determined this car had been wrecked, front end destroyed. The current “owner” bought the hulk from a salvage yard. The guy had prior convictions for auto theft and receiving stolen Porsche parts. Apparently he had rebuilt the car with stolen parts, as he couldn’t explain where he got the front clip and turbo drive train. I seized the car and it was eventually sold at auction.

Back