• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Hemi orange paint

craigbred

Reaction score
Hi all,
I am almost to the point of painting my new engine; Hemi Orange. I read an old thread that Cuda Cody was going to try and make a "2 part paint" in a rattle can that would mix the 2 parts in the can with the push of a button (when you were ready to spray the paint). Does anyone know if Cody ever did that? Actually, I'm hoping Cody catches this post...

If not, I guess I'll use Mopar's Hemi Orange paint. Does anyone have a better suggestion in a rattle can?
Craig

Reaction score
I suggest buying a harbor freight small detail gun and getting 2 part paint and doing the job correctly.

4 oz. Adjustable Detail Air Spray Gun

There is a reason so many threads are asking about a good quality rattle can paint. Because rattle can paint mostly just sucks and It doesn’t last, compared to catalyzed automotive paint.

Reaction score
The Prevail sprayer actually sucks! The pressure is high when new and as you use it the pressure goes down. Really hard to have good results with them. Very frustrating. And they aren’t very cheap either.

Just get the spray gun from HF. That small one doesn’t need much of an air compressor to run it. They do spray pretty nice.

aussiemark

Reaction score
You can get reasonable results (agreed never as good as a proper spray gun with epoxy paint) with a rattle can but you have to shake it for longer then most people do and don't hold it too close (runs) or too far (dry spray) I usually have the tip about 6 inches from the surface. Proper engine paint is designed to cure when the engine gets to operating temp (you can smell it) and it usually lasts or the engines I have done did.

Sal C

Reaction score
Not sure if you've painted your engine yet but I got great results with the Eastwood high temp ceramic paint, comes in Hemi orange. Two part mix (requires activator). Used a cheapo $9.99 gun from Harbor Freight to apply.

20190728_135830 (Medium).jpg

craigbred

Reaction score
Hi Sal,
No I didn't get to painting yet - every step just keeps taking long... Yours's looks great.

The painting on the underside of my hood came out real nice, so I guess I'll go to the trouble and spray the 2 part paint on the engine.

Thanks for all the tips everyone.

Back