• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Buying first classic challenger

Jimmmmmay

Reaction score
Hey everyone. Long time lurker, first time poster...

So I'm hitting the big 4-0 in a little over a month, and what better way to ring in old age then buying something that you've wanted since you were about 12 years old? I've seriously been into Challengers forever. I have an '09 R/T that I bought new and have always wanted to add a classic one to the stable.

I've been scouring ads for what feels like years, but finally came across a '71 RT that checks all my boxes. What makes me nervous is the distance. I'm in a suburb of Cleveland, and this '71 is near Minnesota. I've talked to them quite a bit and everything seems legit, so I'm not worried about it from a scam perspective at all. It's a pretty big price tag though and it's not like I can just go down the street and check it out. What recommendations would you have buying a car from a dealer that's about 750 miles away?

I know I can pay to have an inspector go check it out, but how do you know if you can trust the inspector?

In a perfect world, I'm looking for a really nice driver quality 70-71 challenger. My #1 requirement is that it's a 4spd. I'm not stuck on originality, but it does affect what I'd be willing to pay (obviously). This car I'm looking at is at the top end of my budget (asking $49k). I've always been completely obsessed with '71 Plum Crazy RTs, so when this one came up it obviously got my attention. I'm moderately mechanically inclined, but I don't have the space or time to do a restoration myself. Small projects here and there don't scare me, but buying something that needs a complete overhaul isn't something I'm prepared to do.

Here's a link to the car. Feel free to pick it apart. It's impressive how much knowledge everyone on here has!

1971 Dodge Challenger RT | eBay

Also if anyone's ever dealt with this dealer, any input is welcome. They seem on the up and up.

Look forward to getting to know everyone on here. Hopefully this works out and I can pile another toy in the garage!

-Jim

Danny Boy

Reaction score
Don't know if Challenger R/T's came with 340's.
Thought they were all big blocks - just my 2 cents worth

DrEamer

Reaction score
Don't know if Challenger R/T's came with 340's.
Thought they were all big blocks - just my 2 cents worth

That was only true for 1970, small blocks were available on 71 and later in R/T's and Rallyes.

Adam

Reaction score
This car is a twin to mine. Plum Crazy 71 R/T 340, 4 spd car; 313 made of all colors, I believe.

Re: the e-bay car, you should definitely get pictures of the trunk floor, without the mat. Also upwards view of the bottom of the Dutchman/trunk filler panel at the rear window corners, from inside the trunk (because dirt & moisture collect in the rear window corners) I don’t like how the door jamb sticker is missing or painted over, so the secondary on the cowl needs to be checked. The driver’s quarter looks a little wavy, but it may be the light. The whole car should be checked for excessive filler.. minor, but the wiper looks like a two speed, not a three speed.

Last edited:

Jimmmmmay

Reaction score
This car is a twin to mine. 71 R/T 340, 4 spd car; 313 made, I believe.

Re: the e-bay car, you should definitely get pictures of the trunk floor, without the mat. Also upwards view of the bottom of the Dutchman/trunk filler panel at the rear window corners, from inside the trunk (because dirt & moisture collect in the rear window corners) I don’t like how the door jamb sticker is missing, so the secondary on the cowl needs to be checked.

Thanks Adam! It's funny you mentioned that because I just received a more detailed video of the car and you're right about the trunk floor. It's not swiss cheese at this point, but you can tell there's some moisture there. I'll ask about the upwards view shot and get a pic of the vin on the cowl. Thanks for the great advice. This is exactly the kind of thing I need.

Adam

Reaction score
Yeah, the original rubber trunk mats hold moisture to the floor. Roll it up when not in use, or replace with carpet. My 2 cents.

Jimmmmmay

Reaction score
Yeah, the original rubber trunk mats hold moisture to the floor. Roll it up when not in use, or replace with carpet. My 2 cents.
That makes sense. He mentioned that the trunk mat was glued down... which is... interesting.

moparleo

Reaction score
Massive fluid leaks. Steam cleaned the engine but not the bottom of the car from the trans back. oil every where. Bad. Rear floor pans look to be replaced. Not a good install job. I don't see the pinch welds on the rockers, may have replacement rockers. Manual drum brakes, you won't like the way it will stop. Take into account that it just has p/s a rally gauges, wing. Pretty much base model. Leak repairs, possible f/e rebuild if bushings are oil soaked. Probable disc brake upgrade. Don't know how engine runs, internal condition. Use oil ? Noises? Smooth power ? Looks like a respray, externally detailed only. Need to inspect for rust in all of the usual places. Price is too high for a basic car that needs repairs. It looks nice but that will wear off after you have it a while and start having to fix things. I would pass but if you are hooked on it, make the drive or fly, bus, train and personally inspect it. If possible take someone who is knowledgable about the quirks of the e-body cars. A few hundred may save you a few thousand.

Jimmmmmay

Reaction score
Massive fluid leaks. Steam cleaned the engine but not the bottom of the car from the trans back. oil every where. Bad. Rear floor pans look to be replaced. Not a good install job. I don't see the pinch welds on the rockers, may have replacement rockers. Manual drum brakes, you won't like the way it will stop. Take into account that it just has p/s a rally gauges, wing. Pretty much base model. Leak repairs, possible f/e rebuild if bushings are oil soaked. Probable disc brake upgrade. Don't know how engine runs, internal condition. Use oil ? Noises? Smooth power ? Looks like a respray, externally detailed only. Need to inspect for rust in all of the usual places. Price is too high for a basic car that needs repairs. It looks nice but that will wear off after you have it a while and start having to fix things. I would pass but if you are hooked on it, make the drive or fly, bus, train and personally inspect it. If possible take someone who is knowledgable about the quirks of the e-body cars. A few hundred may save you a few thousand.
Thanks for all the input, moparleo. Good stuff. I bought a $1,000 truck sight unseen off of ebay years back that turned out to be a mistake and this could be like buying 50 of those trucks :). Like you said, if I were to pursue this seeing it in person is probably a good move. At least they have direct flights from Cleveland to that area so it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world to get there.

DrEamer

Reaction score

Nice catch on some of those things, I only had a few minutes to look at it this morning. I also noticed the under coating looks like it has been put on recently by the dealership, I would guess to cover over rust. Looks like POR-15 if I had to guess. Also, the shocks and rear springs were painted at the same time, again looks like an effort to cover up something. If it was all done nicely, that would be one thing, but that is a poor job that appears to be done quickly. At that price the car would require a complete engine painting, undercoating, and other things detailed that were mentioned above.

Jimmmmmay

Reaction score
If you guys were me and you wanted the car, what would you offer for it? I honestly do like the car a lot for what it is, but I haven't made an offer on it yet. Everything has its price I suppose. To me as long as the car isnt gonna break down, it doesn't have to be perfect. I'm not the kind of guy to drop 50k on something without losing sleep over it for a few days though!

340challconvert

Reaction score
It has already been said; you need to see the car and examine it closely. Radio is a minor point; the condition of the body, especially rust, possible bondo under the paint and concerns about leaking fluids are biggies. Hard to tell from pictures, especially under florescent lights. The price is a dealer price and is usually inflated over what you can do sometimes with a private sale or even the auctions at times. It is a base RT (340 was extra cost in a 71 over the 383). There are RT Challengers out there for 50 k. Go look and examine closely. Good luck and I hope it turns out to be your long term dream Challenger!
Dino2 (1).gif

Last edited:

1632Hemi

Reaction score
This car is a twin to mine. Plum Crazy 71 R/T 340, 4 spd car; 313 made of all colors, I believe.

Re: the e-bay car, you should definitely get pictures of the trunk floor, without the mat. Also upwards view of the bottom of the Dutchman/trunk filler panel at the rear window corners, from inside the trunk (because dirt & moisture collect in the rear window corners) I don’t like how the door jamb sticker is missing or painted over, so the secondary on the cowl needs to be checked. The driver’s quarter looks a little wavy, but it may be the light. The whole car should be checked for excessive filler.. minor, but the wiper looks like a two speed, not a three speed.

Nice catch on some of those things, I only had a few minutes to look at it this morning. I also noticed the under coating looks like it has been put on recently by the dealership, I would guess to cover over rust. Looks like POR-15 if I had to guess. Also, the shocks and rear springs were painted at the same time, again looks like an effort to cover up something. If it was all done nicely, that would be one thing, but that is a poor job that appears to be done quickly. At that price the car would require a complete engine painting, undercoating, and other things detailed that were mentioned above.

Before I buy my next E body I will make sure to check with this site! You guys are great!!

Last edited:

Danny Boy

Reaction score
Couple of comments.
Rear shelf has after market speakers.
Exhaust system has glass packs only, no mufflers in rear near exhaust tips...
This car may be loud or difficult to drive after hearing the exhaust drone.
If a person scrimps on an exhaust system with glass packs on an "original car" what other areas were short changed?
Not a good sign.
Most cars I have seen at least have complete exhaust systems
Again, my 2 cents

Grady Cain

Reaction score
You MUST see any classic car you are interested in buying IN PERSON - PERIOD. It is much easier for people to be dishonest these days over the phone and especially the computer. You need to see the car in person and be able to speak to the seller and look him/her in the eyes. Ask the questions and get answers in real time, face-to-face. If the members here picked apart this car by just looking at internet photos, imagine what you could potentially find looking at it in person.

Again, like others' input here, just my opinion but I personally would not spend that amount of money on ANYTHING sight-unseen. Best of luck and please keep us updated.

Oh ya - welcome to FEBO from NW CT. I hope you finally get that Challenger of your dreams man...

Jimmmmmay

Reaction score
Just wanted to say thank you to everyone who responded on here this weekend. Your input was above and beyond whatever I could've expected and you all really helped me out. Thank you for taking the time to go through the pics, speak from your experiences and all your advice. I can see I'm gonna like it here on this board :). I'll definitely post any updates to what (smart or stupid) decision I make with all of this and how it goes.

aussiemark

Reaction score
You MUST see any classic car you are interested in buying IN PERSON - PERIOD. It is much easier for people to be dishonest these days over the phone and especially the computer. You need to see the car in person and be able to speak to the seller and look him/her in the eyes. Ask the questions and get answers in real time, face-to-face. If the members here picked apart this car by just looking at internet photos, imagine what you could potentially find looking at it in person.

Again, like others' input here, just my opinion but I personally would not spend that amount of money on ANYTHING sight-unseen. Best of luck and please keep us updated.

Oh ya - welcome to FEBO from NW CT. I hope you finally get that Challenger of your dreams man...
I couldn't agree more I got lucky when I bought my Challenger from Carsonline.com that guy was honest and I got a great car at a good price then I bought a Barracuda off Ebay and it was one of the worst decisions I have ever made and will never buy a car unseen again.

Back