• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Help with Degreeing Cam

40sloop

Reaction score
im degreeing a lunati vodoo camshaft for a 340 iv found tdc and now the I have to put the dial indicator to the tappet. The problem is that because the tappet is hydraulic there’s no place for me to really put the dial indicator without moving and I can’t get it on a straight angle. Any suggestions? Thanks.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

gzig5

Reaction score
Lay a washer across the top of the lifter with some grease to hold it in place. If you have the tools to cut a disc out of something, do so. put the indicator on the disc at the straightest angle you can get to.

I would strongly suggest buying an adjustable magnetic indicator base so you can set up the indicator in line with the lifter. that is the main problem.
cheap one but you don't need much

Multi-Position Magnetic Base with Fine Adjustment

ldr

Reaction score
take an old lifter to a machine shop and have them turn a piece of round rod to press fit in the lifter approximately 2-3 inches long

Adam

Reaction score
Lay a washer across the top of the lifter with some grease to hold it in place. If you have the tools to cut a disc out of something, do so. put the indicator on the disc at the straightest angle you can get to.

I would strongly suggest buying an adjustable magnetic indicator base so you can set up the indicator in line with the lifter. that is the main problem.
cheap one but you don't need much

Multi-Position Magnetic Base with Fine Adjustment
Great idea to use a washer. I have an old lifter that I filled up with JB weld, but in the future I will just use a washer.

tonysrt

Reaction score
How about turning lifter upside down to give a flat surface.

Daves69

Reaction score
Strip out 2 old lifters. Clean in acetone. Superglue open ends together.

40sloop

Reaction score
Thanks will probably use washer sounds like a great idea. I just think decreeing the cam the best of my ability is quite important.

Back