• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Buying first classic challenger

Knock Out

Reaction score
Welcome Jimmy to the site
Lots of knowledge at this site (not me) I am still learning a ton about e body cars(loved them from the first new one my neighbor had in 1970.)
I have had a lot of performance cars and collectibles
My advice be patient , when the right car comes along with the right situation you will know it
Don't get stuck on emotional issues like age deadlines. (or even color as long as you can live with it) Get the for the BEST CAR the money you can get.
You can always trade or upgrade or whatever as you go.
I had my eye on mine for over 10 years before it went up for sale from a private collector I knew(you wont need to wait that long I am sure)
Sold 2 corvettes to get it.
Good Luck

R4Sedan

Reaction score
I'd steer clear of that car my friend. Because of all the mentioned above. That car was probably redone by an amateur. You would be throwing good money after bad. Sorry!

HemiMetal

Reaction score
Hey Jimmy welcome great to hear there is a bit younger crowd as much in love with these cars as us who grew up with them. My 2cents would agree with the other input, run from this one, anything gooked up with undercoating like that just screams bad news and the terrible floor replacement you can bet everything done on this was not up to snuff. I did happen across a 71 located a bit closer to you here in Volo IL Chicago burbs, not sure if you have seen this one maybe worth a look - 1971 Dodge Challenger | Volo Auto Museum Anyway good luck with your search keep these cars alive.

Jimmmmmay

Reaction score
Hey Jimmy welcome great to hear there is a bit younger crowd as much in love with these cars as us who grew up with them. My 2cents would agree with the other input, run from this one, anything gooked up with undercoating like that just screams bad news and the terrible floor replacement you can bet everything done on this was not up to snuff. I did happen across a 71 located a bit closer to you here in Volo IL Chicago burbs, not sure if you have seen this one maybe worth a look - 1971 Dodge Challenger | Volo Auto Museum Anyway good luck with your search keep these cars alive.

Hi HemiMetal,

Well, it turns out that it wasn't meant to be anyways. The car that I started this thread with was actually sold last week and I wasn't the one who purchased it. It's ok though. The search goes on!

I did see that 71 on Volo's site. That car is GORGEOUS, but it's a little steep for my price range. If it was numbers matching I might be able to talk myself into it for close to $60k, but I just can't do it. That being said, I'm not exactly sure what dealer markup on a place like Volo is. I never got to the point of price negotiations for that 71 I was looking at. I probably asked too many questions :). I read somewhere on the internet that said "don't be afraid to ask 25% below asking price on a dealer consignment sale" and since everything you read on the internet is true that must be right!

I found the picture that started it all for me. Back in the day my Dad had this picture in his wallet - back when people still had pictures in wallets. Weirdly he was never really a hardcore car guy but I caught the muscle car bug back in the early 90s. Not enough to be a true gear-head but I was one of those kids who had all the car posters on my bedroom walls growing up. This is the pic though... sadly Dad's not around anymore. Which doesn't help the obsession of mine to own one of these things.

71chal.jpg

HemiMetal

Reaction score
Jimmy love it, the slots are fantastic, what a great looking car can see why thats burned in your brain as it should be. Volo will deal a bit, I have noticed the Non match cars seem to be with them longer, certainly never hurts to try an press it. BTW I lived in Cleveland for a number years, actually Westlake from 1987 - 1994 still have a great deal of appreciation hugely underrated city, IMO.

340challconvert

Reaction score
That 71 RT at Volo is stunning.
I agree; a little high, especially for a non matching numbers car. Dash pad is cracked, 440/tremac in place of the original 383/4sp, and the seat covers are for a 72-74 w white buckets in a black interior car.
15 “ rallyes, 4 wheel disc, factory louvers and spoiler added are nice. It really is a resto-mod.
If the mods don’t bother you and you can negotiate a lower price, it is a nice car! JMO

Jimmmmmay

Reaction score
Well, it happened! In a weird way, it's more than just 'getting a car' to me, but I did something I've always wanted to do... so I'll call this one an achievement! It's a 71 RT clone w/ a 408 stroker in it. Compared to my '09, it's smelly, obnoxious, shaky, harder to shift and I love every minute of it :). It was a crazy weekend, because my wife was nice enough to throw me a surprise 40th birthday party I had no idea about and the next day a friend and I drove down with a truck and a trailer to get it. The 40th birthday wasn't a deadline or anything, but needless to say it made for a good weekend. Thanks again to everyone on here. You helped me out in ways you might not know!

20190731_104355.jpg

340challconvert

Reaction score
Jimmy
Good luck with the new toy! :steering:
Car looks good.
How about some more pics and details.
With the hard shifting; I am thinking it is a manual trans?

Dino2 (1).gif

Last edited:

DrEamer

Reaction score
Jimmy
Good luck with the new toy! :steering:
Car looks good.
How about some more pics and details.
With the hard shifting; I am thinking it is a manual trans?

Yes, we need pictures, and more details. It's a great looking car, enjoy it !!!!

6PKRTSE

Reaction score
Nice one that you found for sure. I agree with what you said about it comparing to your 09'. I have a 12' R/T and a 70 R/T Chsllengers. The newer cars have a nicer way of cool. Can't compete with the cool of the classics though.

Back