• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

?Upgrade OE pulley/belt assembly to serpentine system?

Pappa1

Reaction score
Hey all, I am looking for some advice/recommendations on whether to upgrade from OE pulleys/belts to serpentine belts and pulleys. I have a '73 Cuda 340 which has been upgraded to a 411 Stroker and I am going to keep the factory A/C. The engine is running smoothly with the OE pulleys/belts but as it is still on a Run Engine Stand, it does not have the AC installed. I will be adding the AC back before dropping the engine into the car and am considering changing the belts/pulleys. The conversion will be rather expensive and if it is only for looks maybe the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" adage is applicable. But if it will enhance performance, reliability, etc, then the expense is worthwhile. If you suggest changing the pulley system then please offer suggestions, type/manufacture, etc. Thanks!

IMG950024.jpg

Pappa1

Reaction score
I like the OE look also versus all the bling of a serpentine system. I see you changed out your radiator but kept your power steering. I am having my original radiator rebuilt with a max-cooling core versus the stock 3 row core in order to keep the original look. I am considering upgrading the K member to include rack and pinion steering so the power steering pump will be gone. This will also give more room for headers and larger milodon oil pan. I painted my engine Mopar orange because even though it is the original 340 block since it has a Stroker Kit, it is now technically a 411.

rklein71

Reaction score
Mine is a 5.9 stroked to 408. I didn't have a radiator when I got the car, so I bought an aluminum one. Seems to be working fine. Although not in the picture here, I used a dual electric fan from a Ford Taurus. I thought about rack and pinion but ultimately decided to have Firm Feel rebuild the stock one. I painted my engine Mopar orange because I love orange engines! Here is a pic on my 71 BHG car. Rod

IMG_0799.JPG

rbbruno3

Reaction score
You have to decide if you are going stock or not. There is a reason why all new cars run serpentine belts.

rklein71

Reaction score
You have to decide if you are going stock or not. There is a reason why all new cars run serpentine belts.

Car is definitely not stock, running EFI among other upgrades. Just chose not to throw money at a serpentine belt. Rod

DrEamer

Reaction score
The one issue you will have with going to serpentine belts is that the original AC unit does not have a way to convert it as far as I know. You could go with a more modern replacement compressor like the Sanden though. I am still considering this on mine, but since I will be going with a aftermarket AC, it makes that a little simpler. If you want to go with a serpentine belt set up, I would consider something like the CFV stealth system. It comes with black brackets and pulleys like original, and you can even order a black AC compressor to match.

Chrysler Small Block Engine Accessories | Serpentine Conversion

Adam

Reaction score
I would keep it stock looking, that is part of the appeal of these cars, and spend the money on something else, like TTI exhaust... my two cents.

AUSTA

Reaction score
Stick with the A belts if you go CFV go black A section
340.jpg
Serpentine are just to hard to get to track right trust me i have done it.

DrEamer

Reaction score
The only issue with doing that is the AC compressor is placed over the thermostat if it is off a Magnum engine. Also, I know at least in the A bodies, the power steering pump hits the battery tray. I don't know if the LA engines on the earlier years had serpentine belts though that might work though.

challenger6pak

Reaction score
91 Dakota is a LA 318. One year only. The other motors are Magnum and can be made to work.

Pappa1

Reaction score
Thanks for all the info. After deep thought (and looking into my empty wallet) I am going to keep the original look and AC along with the V Belts for now. I figure, get the car running safely and reliable, body fixed, and then can always go back and add/change things. BTW: pics are posted in the resto forum along with my new member intr story in the new member forum. Again, thanks for the info/advice and will be looking for more of the same as the project continues!
HAPPY FORTH of July!

John Hanephin

Reaction score
Hey all, I am looking for some advice/recommendations on whether to upgrade from OE pulleys/belts to serpentine belts and pulleys. I have a '73 Cuda 340 which has been upgraded to a 411 Stroker and I am going to keep the factory A/C. The engine is running smoothly with the OE pulleys/belts but as it is still on a Run Engine Stand, it does not have the AC installed. I will be adding the AC back before dropping the engine into the car and am considering changing the belts/pulleys. The conversion will be rather expensive and if it is only for looks maybe the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" adage is applicable. But if it will enhance performance, reliability, etc, then the expense is worthwhile. If you suggest changing the pulley system then please offer suggestions, type/manufacture, etc. Thanks!

View attachment 61454
I have a 426 Cuda convertible tribute car and switched to CVF 8 rib serpentine belt system and love it. In my case it put the shorty compressor where the alt was and the alt above the power steering pump ( they supplied a GM pump. the system has everything below valve covers and looks great as well as dependable. Check with them and see what they offer for the 340. I am not a fan of having the compressor up high on the left side. I had shaker issues so that was not an option for me.

70rcode

Reaction score
Why would you want to clutter up the engine bay with Ac & Ps pumps to look like some common 70's luxury barge mobile ??? ...Stock water pump & maybe an alternator w/ a simple v belt gets it done for me.

Pappa1

Reaction score
Because that is the way I bought the vehicle in 1977 and I want it to look like I bought it as much as possible.

Back