• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Illegal to work on your own car!

340challconvert

Reaction score
Sacramento County has gone too far IMO

Sacramento County Is Saying It's Illegal To Work On Your Car In Your Own Garage
Dino2 (1).gif

challenger6pak

Reaction score
I pretty much live with the same thing here in South Florida. It becomes what I call selective inforcement. Any time you do anything you are looking over your shoulder.

rogue

Reaction score
many home owners associations have similar rules

340challconvert

Reaction score
And this ban in California is on a county wide level.:mob:
The law is written in a some what nebulous way; leaving enforcement open to interpretation by a local official!
One “wide” definition of an illegal act would be to “use tools not usually found in a residence”.
What exactly would that mean? Would an ohm meter count; how about a grinder or even a welder! I still own an engine hoist for over 40 years. All of these things could be banned for use in a “residence”.
Anyone one on the forum live in California, in that county?

Dino2 (1).gif

Last edited:

DetMatt1

Reaction score
I thought this was the land of the free. I know of a few CA residence on another forum who can’t get out of there fast enough.

SFEbody

Reaction score
I am in CA, Los Angeles county and my neighbor is a Sheriff of LA County and he and I work together on our projects lots of times. I will ask him his thoughts since I have many of the tools 340 mentioned. Stay tuned for his opinion.

340challconvert

Reaction score
The rationale for the statute:
"The chemicals involved in major automobile repair can pollute neighborhoods and endanger the health and well being of residents. Furthermore, this kind of activity increases vehicle traffic and the visual impact can negatively impact property values."

Last edited:

wedg2go

Reaction score
I have to agree with aussiemark. I am too set in my ways to change now. Especially, when we consider the alternative which is letting someone else work on my rides when I am capable. Truth is, I have "Trust Issues" when it comes down to someone else turning a wrench on my ride. I don't even trust having a simple oil change done (Many-many times when I am up against the clock and I am put into a position where I let someone else change the old oil, I find either the oil plug or filter is loose afterwards). Nope! It's all me. They can levy a fine against me if they feel that is necessary. Most likely, I'll let em sweat it out waiting for me to pay it.

Edit - BTW - Sacramento County? OoooOOOoooH boy!!! That is where I bought my '70 Challenger. The guy I bought it from?...Well, building/restoring rides is what he does for a little side money. I mean he is really into it, but his place is neat and clean. He is going to be pis-la-de-da!

Last edited:

hemi71x

Reaction score
The law is written in a some what nebulous way; leaving enforcement open to interpretation by a local official!
One “wide” definition of an illegal act would be to “use tools not usually found in a residence”.
What exactly would that mean? Would an ohm meter count; how about a grinder or even a welder! I still own an engine hoist for over 40 years. All of these things could be banned for use in a “residence”.

View attachment 61726

Ya, i live in the Sacramento county, on the East side of Sacramento, in the city of Rancho Cordova.
I live in a decent residential neighborhood full of duplex houses, that everyone is renters, and the land lords are absentee owners.
There is one home, eight houses down the street from me, that the guy has taken on, orbital sanding the paint off one of the SUV's in his driveway.
Then one morning on my walk around the block, i see it was painted a different color.
Don't know if it got painted in the driveway too, in the garage, or someplace else, then drug home again.
I personally don't think that's right, in a residential neighborhood like this, but i'm not about to turn him in to code enforcement, as he's not a left or right neighbor to me, at my house.
Code enforcement seems to do a decent enough job around my "hood" keeping smashed, expired registration cars off the street, that show up on rare occasions, by the apartment complex, at the beginning of the street.
This posting was also brought up on the B bodies only forum too, before the whole thing went "poof" and was removed?

DrEamer

Reaction score
I thought this was the land of the free. I know of a few CA residence on another forum who can’t get out of there fast enough.

I hope that if they are car guys, that they remember why they moved in the first place. We are getting an influx of people from CA here in Oregon, and it seems like many of them forget why they moved, and want to pass laws to make it like CA. Sorry for the rant, but had to vent a little.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
I hope that if they are car guys, that they remember why they moved in the first place. We are getting an influx of people from CA here in Oregon, and it seems like many of them forget why they moved, and want to pass laws to make it like CA. Sorry for the rant, but had to vent a little.
I’ve heard that too.

budascuda

Reaction score
And lots of folks are moving up to Canada.
Now, that is the land of the free!

Last edited:

Jerry Ikemire

Reaction score

View attachment 61726
In my County that engine hoist would be considered a "speed hangin device" so the "hangin Judge" could do multiples a day!!

aussiemark

Reaction score
Sounds like refugees from certain countries they come here to escape from their countries crazy laws next thing you know they want to change our law to make it the same as the country they supposedly are seeking refuge from.

budascuda

Reaction score
No no no, they are not escaping any laws (unless you are talking about the M72, in that case you are correct).
They are seeking refuge from the bombs that keep falling on their heads for some reason.
Fortunately, these refugees from certain countries are treated with understanding and compassion when they arrive in their new home country.

So, anyway when is the new cuda coming out?

340challconvert

Reaction score
I think he meant "counties" not countries, or moving to another state; from California to Oregon.

Last edited:
Back