• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

shifter adjustments?

Cratos

Reaction score
anyway to adjust the linkage on a slapstick? seems to be in between gear on the selector when in park ignition won't in gauge same with nutral.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Yes there is and the factory service manual should cover that adjustment. You’ll need to get under the car to do it so if you can do that safely you’re halfway there.
You can see where #21-23 attach to the lower rod which goes to the shift lever on the trans.
Loosen #22, move the lever on the trans into park and put your slapstick in Park and then tighten #22. Then Get yourself an fsm. These are the cheapest yet most valuable tool in your toolbox.

6E4B4B29-D4EC-4D1D-AD03-ECBC7F13FD23.png

gzig5

Reaction score
Pay attention to how much play you have in the bushings on the torque shaft and between the lower rod and shift arm. You may have to preload the system to take that slack out. Mine worked perfectly before I had to have the converter replaced. When I got it back from the shop it wouldn't go into gear unless the shifter is tapped against the back of the gate. I don't know what they did, it worked perfectly after I pulled it out and back in last fall, but I do see some lost motion in my linkage so I get to readjust it. I know I have wear on the torque shaft itself and the bushings, but that is going to have to wait until winter.

Cratos

Reaction score
all new bushings :) was a pita between the lock out and shifter adjustments, but got it right.
thanks

Back