• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

New member - Nashville, TN area

Romero14

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am new to the site and new to e-bodies. I am 32 years old and have been wanting one since I was a kid. Hopefully I can make that happen next week when I travel to Michigan to take a look at a 1970 Challenger.

budascuda

Reaction score
Hey,welcome aboard!
We got a couple of great members from Michigan, make sure you talk to them as well.
Good luck with your endeavour ...

Romero14

Reaction score
Hey,welcome aboard!
We got a couple of great members from Michigan, make sure you talk to them as well.
Good luck with your endeavour ...

They may know about this car. It is in the Grand Rapids area. Who are the guys from Michigan? Maybe they can help me out with info, etc.

Grady Cain

Reaction score
Welcome from NW CT. Great to see younger blood getting into this hobby. Ask the seller lots of questions when you go look at that '70 and don't hesitate to ask us anything. Good luck man...

Romero14

Reaction score
Welcome from NW CT. Great to see younger blood getting into this hobby. Ask the seller lots of questions when you go look at that '70 and don't hesitate to ask us anything. Good luck man...

Thank you Grady! I've asked a few over the phone but plan to ask more once I get there. My cousin flying up there as well and will know more about what to ask than I do. The car has been posted here by another member with a few guys commenting on it. I definitely wouldn't mind hearing more opinions from you guys. It is at a dealer.

340challconvert

Reaction score
:welcome: to FEBO from New Jersey
Good Luck with your potential new Challenger!
Dino2 (1).gif

Romero14

Reaction score
A66 car!
Welcome to the site from the Motor City!
You should schedule your trip the same weekend as the Mopars at the red barns show at the end of the month, you’ll be right there.

Thank you! I was thinking that the car may sell so I booked my trip for next wk but will be back before the show starts for work.... if only I had known about this I would have taken off. Yes it is an A66 and hopefully it is what the dealer says and in pristine condition.

moparlee

Reaction score
Welcome to the site from mid MI. That is a well optioned A66 car with pwr windows and rear defrost. If it had it's 340 and 727 tranny if would be worth much more money. But it looks like a very nice interior and the under body looks to be solid. It says they replaced the quarters but didn't do anything with the bubbling on the passenger door. Tell them to put it up on the lift and have a bright flash light. Look under the trunk mat as it looks like a suspicious coating in there. Is your cousin familiar with Mopars? Check over the documentation and make sure the radiator support and cowel partial vin numbers match the fender and dash tags. Good Luck! Oh, and ask them where the car came from as Michigan cars see a lot of road salt and rust badly.

Romero14

Reaction score
Welcome to the site from mid MI. That is a well optioned A66 car with pwr windows and rear defrost. If it had it's 340 and 727 tranny if would be worth much more money. But it looks like a very nice interior and the under body looks to be solid. It says they replaced the quarters but didn't do anything with the bubbling on the passenger door. Tell them to put it up on the lift and have a bright flash light. Look under the trunk mat as it looks like a suspicious coating in there. Is your cousin familiar with Mopars? Check over the documentation and make sure the radiator support and cowel partial vin numbers match the fender and dash tags. Good Luck! Oh, and ask them where the car came from as Michigan cars see a lot of road salt and rust badly.

Yes, the dealer was upfront about the bubbling on the passenger door. My cousin has a couple of Mopars so he is more familiar than I although he is no expert. I'll check out the trunk and the coating. What do you think it could be? Would this be a cause for concern? According to Garage Kept's website, this is a Michigan car. How far are you from Grand Rapids?

340challconvert

Reaction score
Interesting A66 car. Original factory plum car with a yellow bumble stripe. Engine is now a worked 360. Power windows is a great option, along with the rallye dash.
I have a file on this car; didn't know about the power windows though!
Dino2 (1).gif

moparlee

Reaction score
Yes, the dealer was upfront about the bubbling on the passenger door. My cousin has a couple of Mopars so he is more familiar than I although he is no expert. I'll check out the trunk and the coating. What do you think it could be? Would this be a cause for concern? According to Garage Kept's website, this is a Michigan car. How far are you from Grand Rapids?

Regarding the trunk area, was just wondering why they didn't paint it body color. If it is some type of heavy coating it could be covering up some corroded areas. See if you can talk to the previous owner. I am a 4 hr round trip from Grand Rapids.

Romero14

Reaction score
Regarding the trunk area, was just wondering why they didn't paint it body color. If it is some type of heavy coating it could be covering up some corroded areas. See if you can talk to the previous owner. I am a 4 hr round trip from Grand Rapids.

Hmm, I didn't think of that. Thank you and I'll try to talk to the original owner if the dealer will give me his contact info.

340challconvert

Reaction score
I keep files and track the A66 cars over the years as I come across them. Pretty much had the information that was in the ad link you listed. Nothing new. Didn't know about the power windows which makes the car more unique.
The car attracted my attention because of the color combination (plum with the yellow bumble stripe).
The car was listed on another e body web site last month with an on-going conversation about it. The same advice came up; check for rust in the usual places, especially floors, frame rails, lower quarters, and the trunk. It also came up to inspect the body; there were some concerns about how much body putty might be on the car. It looks great, but in certain light, you don't always get an accurate impression of what is underneath the paint. Inspect the body carefully! The trunk was sprayed in gray; Definitely look at the trunk area and put it on a lift as suggested above.

It is a very reasonable price; if the car had the original 340, it would sell for significantly more money. The dealer is stating that it is a "punched out" 318 turned into a 360. Check out the numbers on the engine so you know what you are getting. Having the 904 trans; it was probably installed with the replacement engine. The car originally would have come with a HD torqueflite with the 340, as per the D32 code.

Has some cool options including the power windows, rallye dash and the factory bench seat. I am guessing that it probably was a column mounted shift car (with the aftermarket floor shifter installed?) The price allows you to buy into this market reasonably.
Do a good inspection on her. It looks like a fun car, reasonably priced if total originality is not mandatory.

You could not build a car up to this condition for the asking price.
The car looks to come with a lot of documentation of the work that was done including a copy of a magazine write up that was done on her.
Best of luck with your potential purchase, when you finally get the see the car in person.

Dino2 (1).gif

Last edited:

Romero14

Reaction score
Thank you 340chall... Like you said this will be a reasonable way for me to get into this market but I still don't want a pile of junk or "covered" up rust bucket lol. I'll tell the dealer to put it up on a lift for closer inspection. If I do buy it, I may try to locate a 340 and 727 for it. You guys have given me some great advice and things to look for. Thanks!

Back