• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Rear crossmember length.

WayTooShort

Reaction score
Can someone suggest what's the 1970 Challenger rear crossmember overall length?
That's the one living between the trunk bottom' end and the tail lamp panel. It has tapped holes for the rear valance brackets.

I had the neighbours fabricators folding me a repo crossmember as the original was rotten away and was chopped off both sides by unknown hand... could not guess the length hence.

Thank you very much everyone.

20190718_200623.jpg

aussiemark

Reaction score
You are very welcome, the ends of the crossmember are cut in the corners about 10mm or so and the 3 sections on each side are flared out on about a 15 degree angle for some reason. This was the best photo I could find the top edge in this photo has been bent straight but the front and lower edges still have the flared angle.

https://scottclemons.files.wordpress.com/2014/05/09-p1010002.jpg

WayTooShort

Reaction score
How about these tapped holes, boys?
What job they do, are they worth reproducing on my panel?

Thank you once again.
Drag

20190722_174151.jpg

20190722_174127.jpg

aussiemark

Reaction score
I will be doing some work on my Challenger this weekend and will have a look and let you know probably tomorrow, I think they may be for the rear valance brackets.

aussiemark

Reaction score
My Challenger (late 70 build) doesn't have them and my Cuda (early build) does have them but they are not used and the threads have rust so I think they were never used and probably deleted on the later 1970 models. Does anyone else know more about these threaded inserts in the rear cross member? The rear valance brackets are bolted through the cross member vertically with nuts and bolts so there will just be 2 holes for each bracket on each side.

Back