• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

72 challenger title

Benrunner

Reaction score
I have a 72 challenger and it has a title in the system here but the man won’t get me a duplicate so I can transfer it. Any suggestions? Any way to title it without him. He’s a past owner and not the one I bought it from but he’s a recluse and won’t answer any form of communication. It was over 25 years since he had the car.

Adam

Reaction score
Talk to your DMV; I had to fill out an application for a lost title, no big deal. All I had was a bill of sale.

Adam

Reaction score
I bet they are wrong... What state are you in?

I have had to argue with the DMV a couple of times. Once they wanted a weight certificate before they would register my 48 Power Wagon... the truck was not running and I didn’t want to tow it to the scales... I found it was actually exempt and they finally conceded.

Another time they wanted a vin inspection on a brand new 2002 Durango, straight from the dealer... also they wanted me to pay for commercial plates... wrong again!

Last edited:

jeff968

Reaction score
Sell it to someone who lives in an old car non-title state, like CT. All that is needed is a bill of sale.

rbbruno3

Reaction score
What’s the reason this guy won’t give you the title? Is he looking to pull a fast one when someone goes to register the car now. Has he put it in the system as stolen? If he sold it to the person you bought it from and why didn’t he give him the title? Something don’t seem right here

Benrunner

Reaction score
What’s the reason this guy won’t give you the title? Is he looking to pull a fast one when someone goes to register the car now. Has he put it in the system as stolen? If he sold it to the person you bought it from and why didn’t he give him the title? Something don’t seem right here
I bought it from Tn. With a Ky. Title never transferred for 25 years. That title is no good because it had another title after that one . So I find out it’s in a small car dealerships name . Then begin to beg him to get a duplicate title and transfer it to me. No response to voicemail, messages and text. The title is free and clear at the dmv. I found out he’s just an odd person, from a family member. I offered him $100 in a voice message to do it but still no response.

Tbone416

Reaction score
In NC we would just have to bond it for about 200 bucks and it takes a few mouths for it to come back maybe there is something like that were your at check with the DMV

Cuda Hunter

Reaction score
There is a Florida company that does titles for old cars. Last one I got was 500.00.
Also, Alabama is a state that doesn't require titles. If you know anyone down there you might try that path.

moparleo

Reaction score
Ran into a similar situation here in California many years back. A friend paid me for some work on his car with a 69 Coronet. Problem was no title. Did a lot of foot work and found that it was sold to a dealer years before. They sold it and never transferred the title. car changed hands a few more times ( I wonder why) and when I tracked down the dealer who held the title they wanted me to pay them as much as the car was worth to transfer the title to me. Too much work, gave the car back to my friend. Don't know what he did with it. Titles depending on your state can be a nightmare. Probably not as bad back east. Some things are still done the old ways back there.
Always check with the DMV in the state you live in before you buy out of state vehicles...Easy to get bit.

Back