• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Starter differences

greatscot3

Reaction score
Does anyone here know the specific differences between a manual transmission starter and an automatic transmission starter for a 440 engine?
Why would they not be interchangeable?

Reaction score
I think almost all starters will interchange except the Hemi engine with the standard trans. The Hemi 4 speed starter is direct drive not a gear reduction starter if my memory is correct.
I know I have used a 318 auto starter when I installed a 69 440 and an 18 spline 4 Spd in one of my 71 Cuda's
Pretty sure the mini starter works in almost all applications as well

69hemibeep

Reaction score
I use the 5.9 magnum starter as a mini starter in my 440. They are all the same except the manual Hemi and I think the /6 stuff. In fact there is a /6 taxi starter similar to the 4spd Hemi starter from what I understand.

greatscot3

Reaction score
Does anyone here know the specific differences between a manual transmission starter and an automatic transmission starter for a 440 engine?
Why would they not be interchangeable?

The reason I am asking these questions is, ten years ago I took my 74 Cuda 440 clone to a Tremec dealer and had a five speed put in and some other work done on the car.
No, I'm not rich. I had to sell some other toys and save my shekels to be able to afford to do that.
It was a 318 auto car and all the changes were beyond my home abilities (and some others).
I got the car back and built the rest of it myself over the years and now getting close to trying to start it and break it in.
The high torque starter I had for it was most likely the one I bought for it when it had the 727 in it.
Yesterday, the starter took a major dump and I'm hoping it did not screw up the ring gear doing it. It seemed fine before when bumping the engine over to align stuff.
I went to Summit's site and started looking at starters and one of the search filters when looking at them is the choice of a manual or automatic transmission starter.
I went to a chat and asked what is the difference?
The only answer I could get was; "the nose is different".
I really can't argue the fact that this automatic starter definitely does not like what it is doing these days. I just wondered why and if that manual/auto difference is definitely the reason the starter sounded like it did.

Thanks for all your replies.

Last edited:

tonysrt

Reaction score
I have a crate Hemi with a Tremec 5 speed and I use the generic mini starter with no problem. With the Tremec they had to change the bellhousing to adapt tranny to motor. I believe the confusion here is with the early Hemi cars from the factory that might have used a different flywheel on the stick cars vs the automatics using a torque converter.

greatscot3

Reaction score
I use the 5.9 magnum starter as a mini starter in my 440. They are all the same except the manual Hemi and I think the /6 stuff. In fact there is a /6 taxi starter similar to the 4spd Hemi starter from what I understand.

69hemibeep

It looks like you may have been right about the 5.9 magnum starter but unfortunately, I could not use the information you gave me before running out of time. I have some people to help me with this car but they can't help me if I don't have parts.
After chasing around the countryside I finally got the name of a starter guru in Carson City NV named ROBBMC. He makes a starter and lists the pinion gear location dimensions which was critical in my case.
The last three starters I tried to install in this 440/keisler car did not work because of a clearance issue with the pinion gear and the flywheel and ring gear. As installed, the last three starters pinion gears were right up against and contacting the flywheel and ring gear.
The pinion gears in the last three starters protruded out from the mounting flange about 1.125" and this was about .125" too far. It turns out ROBBMC makes a starter where the pinion gear only protrudes about 15/16" towards the flywheel and ring gear which should be about perfect. They recommend there be at least .062" clearance from the pinion to the flywheel and the starter dimensions I needed were listed on the ROBBMC webpage.
I sure would have checked out one of the 5.9 starters you suggested if I could have gotten the pinion dimensions for the starter.
This starter by ROBBMC is pretty pricey but was the only one I could get the dimensions for to make semi sure it would fit. ROBBMC is making this starter up tonight and shipping it tomorrow and if I get lucky it will be at my house by Friday.

Too bad I had a time and parts crunch because I think you could have been right about a much cheaper 5.9 magnum starter (5.9 = $79.00, ROBBMC 3005 = $299.00) working in this application because ROBBMC lists this same starter for the 5.9 and the 440.

Thanks again for all your help. I really appreciated it.

RobbMc Performance Products - Mopar Starter

Last edited:

69hemibeep

Reaction score
The 5.9 starter has a plastic piece with the posts on it that is easily removed to clear the block and behold there are two more posts behind it.

RICO

Reaction score
I had an auto in my 528 hemi and i put a 5 speed tremec in it now and the same starter will work for both now the starter that i got was built in the USA and in california... Hi Torque Starter-562-665-4559 call them and they can really help you with any starter questions i got starters from on line and made from china you will waste your time ... it took me 2 years to get the right starter thanks to Hi Torque , small shop but nice guys....if you need and address let me know

Back