• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Manual brakes

Joemoy29

Reaction score
i have never owned a car with manual brakes so I am having a hard time knowing what is right or wrong. The car is 72 cuda. All new lines, new master cyl, new calibers and rear drum cyl. Only thing old is the proportioning valve.

I bleed the brakes pedal is high and hard. Next day pedal is softish until I pump it a few times. I know it’s hard to put into words but what should the pedal feel like?

Thanks in advance

Rich G.

Reaction score
Pedal shouldn’t change. The first thing I would do is adjust the brakes. If they’re not adjusted evenly that will happen. Or you could have a master cylinder going bad if all the air is out.

Joemoy29

Reaction score
Still can’t figure this out. What do you mean by adjust the brakes? I have bleed them so many times, I have used the vacuum system with the compressor, and still can’t get a good pedal

Rich G.

Reaction score
You never adjusted the brakes??? Each wheel brake shoes need to be adjusted the same or you will never get a good pedal. Do you know how to adjust the brakes?

Cudakiller70

Reaction score
Front discs no adjustment.
Rear drum brakes turn adjuster till you just barley feel the brake shoes drag on your wheel. Pump the brakes a couple of times to recenter shoes and check again for slight drag.
Check your front brake calipers to be sure the bleeder screw is at the top so all air can get out. Yes pedal shouldn’t change.
Did you bench bleed MC?

Joemoy29

Reaction score
Thanks guys, yes the drums are adjusted properly. I did bench bleed the MC but I am starting to think it could be a defective unit. It literally could be the only thing. And yes the bleeder screw is up. I did that mistake once many years ago lol

Cudakiller70

Reaction score
I’ve been having problems with parts store stuff lately.
You can check for leaks, any fluid past seals is no good. You can pull back the rubber cups on your rear brake wheel cylinders, you shouldn’t see any fluid there. Same on MC were the push rod goes should be dry also. Best to ya

Back