• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Correct battery tray installation 70 'cuda?

ctaarman

Reaction score
I'm in the final stages of completing a resto on a '70 AAR cuda. The previous owner had moved the battery to the trunk, thus the tray was gone. I ordered a new tray, brace and bolt hardware, and correct battery cables, but can't find a picture that shows how it is properly installed, i.e. direction of brace, how tray mounts to various parts of the car, etc. Tried my shop manual but nothing there showing an installation illustration. Any assistance greatly appreciated.

moparleo

Reaction score
Here are the hole locations

DRIVERS-E-BODY-FENDER-APRON.jpg

ctaarman

Reaction score
First, I want to thank you for your response. The picture is very helpful. I had located the position of the tray with two attachment holes aligned to inner fender and one to the front cowl support. I had also figured out which hole in the fender was for the battery tray brace. That's the good news.

Bad news is that here is where I am (still) confused: In my tray, I don't see proper holes for the battery clamp hold down rods, and I can't figure where the battery tray brace would attach to the tray. (There doesn't seem to be a hole that aligns with the battery tray brace. I was beginning to think I got sold the wrong tray, but looked online at illustrations and they look like mine. Or, do you have a picture with the battery tray installed but no battery?

20190803_175931-2.jpg

moparlee

Reaction score
Randy has got good pics of the tray installation. I marked the holes on mine for the tie down "J" hook holes.
DSCF1702 - Copy.JPG

ctaarman

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone. I think I now know my problem. If you look at my previous pic, the hole for the battery brace is way too far back compared to the trays in all of your very helpful pics. Given I've already painted and cleared mine, I'm thinking of simply drilling a hole in the correct location since it won't be visible once a battery is installed. Thx again. You folks are the best!

72demon416

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone. I think I now know my problem. If you look at my previous pic, the hole for the battery brace is way too far back compared to the trays in all of your very helpful pics. Given I've already painted and cleared mine, I'm thinking of simply drilling a hole in the correct location since it won't be visible once a battery is installed. Thx again. You folks are the best!

I just went through this and feel your pain. There is virtually no pictures on the web for viewing the underside brace install and the reproduction tray rearward bolt hole is in the wrong spot. Nothing can be quick or simple I guess.

Back