• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

1972 challenger not starting

David Angel

Reaction score
1972 challenger stock electronic ign. after driving 25 miles sometimes it will not start on spark to plugs unplug the two wires going to pickup replug starts up only does some times?

moparleo

Reaction score
Welcome aboard. Is the rest of the ignition stock ? Unplug, clean all wire connections, seal with dielectric grease . You need to have good electrical contact before you can start looking for an electrical issue. Did you recently change any parts ? Has this been happening for a long time, or just recently ? What is the history under the hood ?

Mastertech

Reaction score
The pick-up coils were not the most reliable. They can have intermittent opens from heat or sometimes from vibration. When in doubt replace with a new one and set the air gap between the reluctor and pick-up at .008" using a brass feeler gauge. Use two screwdrivers to pry the reluctor up evenly on two sides at once so you don't bend the distributor shaft. The reluctor also has a roll pin to locate it to the shaft with two slots in the reluctor. Make sure when you press it back on you reuse the original slot. You can reinstall it using a thin wall deep socket to tap it down with a small ball peen hammer. In the 70's and 80's I always kept a couple in stock for the two or three times a month that a no start or intermittent no start was towed into the shop.

David Angel

Reaction score
I have purchased a new pickup but I tried open on pigtail coupler to be sure it is the pickup. Thanks for your repley.

Back