• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Drop Top Almost Back

340challconvert

Reaction score
Tell :thumbsup:ya doubleyellow
Your vert looks great. Looks like mine should look hopefully in the near future!

Dino2.gif

doubleyellow

Reaction score
Mine's far from where I want it....thanks for the support.....keep the momentum on yours.....someday we have to have a reunion of Jersey sold Top Banana verts!!

fk5aar

Reaction score
Mine says hi, factory white stripe black hood. I hope to make Woodward next year. My dad lives about 15 minutes from there

37EF782F-E263-4D3D-9158-1F658FAE506D.jpeg

fk5aar

Reaction score
Thanks, Previous owner painted it, go mango as per tag. Then passed away and family sold the car disassembled so I got very lucky to find it. Here’s my original power top pump and your giving me thoughts of trying to use it as is..

91420F11-59E0-4058-9506-B01F435B5DA3.jpeg

E3F8F13E-86DA-4E97-9652-F5CD91884B15.jpeg

340challconvert

Reaction score
You can test the motor. It is nice to have the original date coded unit and it can be rebuilt.
I would change the plastic fluid lines though!
I worry about mine leaking; I have never disassembled the lines, but did find fluid on the floor when I took my car out of storage a few years back.
Are your cylinders in good condition? They are available to purchase if needed, along with the lines.

Dino2 (1).gif

top pump close up.JPG

doubleyellow

Reaction score
That's awesome. We better see you on Woodward in 2020! I'm trying to finish all the last little things and I need to put some miles on it to test all the systems for safety before getting on Woodward.

My lines looked good at first, but then shattered like glass when I started to bend them. GET NEW. Hydro-E-Lectric made custom length lines for no extra charge. The off-the-shelf lines are TOO long.

Also my cylinders looked ok also, but the tops are plastic and the repro ones are metal. I already assumed the plastic and inside seal might leak so I bought the repros. YOU DON'T WANT TRANNY FLUID SPRAYING ALL OVER YOUR CAR!!!

Keep us posted on progress....

doubleyellow

Reaction score
My motor is working fine so far. Yours probably is. I didn't restore it yet because it looks kinda cool original. Make sure you bleed the system. Look on-line for tips. Again protect the car from the tranny fluid.

doubleyellow

Reaction score
Today is Woodward Dream Cruise!! Been saying I would make it there for the last 25 years since my wife and I went to the first one with her convertible Cutlass.

Challenger is far from done. Too much to list. Just got it on the open road this week for only 5 miles. Got some work to do. But, the plan is to get over to Woodward (20 minute drive) to say I finally made it.

Wish me luck !!!

IMG_1085.JPG

IMG_1086-1.JPG

doubleyellow

Reaction score
Well, I made to Woodward.......drove a few miles from Pontiac to Birmingham.

In Birmingham, all the cruiser traffic slows to a crawl. Thought car was running fine, then the temp gauge spiked to "H". Has to stop right on Woodward. Thanks to all the Mopar people that ran over to offer support. Charger R/T owner had extra coolant. After 30 minutes car started and I was able to pull in a side street. Amazingly there was another E-Body Convertible (1970 Cuda, 383, Red, Nice car) and the owners there. All the big block Mopar people were saying they also overheat in these conditions (90 degrees + parking lot).

Very embarrassing and frustrating, but silver lining we met a bunch of super nice Mopar and Muscle car people.

Anyway, I'll be looking for some troubleshooting tips and cooling recommendations soon.

Be back to Woodward and other cruises soon (may take a gallon of Prestone next time)!!

IMG_1087-1.JPG
IMG_1088.JPG

wayne

Reaction score
Glad you made it out and the local Mopar community pulled through! I was out there without my car as its still a ways away.

I am debating what cooling system to run at the moment.

Describe your cooling system. Stock radiator and water pump or something else, fan shroud? What water pump and t-stat?

Last edited:

340challconvert

Reaction score
doubleyellow
Glad no damage was done
My old 440-6 Challenger was like that
No problems until I was driving in city traffic!
Overheated in NYC and when I was in Washington DC.
I had to put the car in neutral and rev the engine to prevent a problem at every traffic light.
PITA

Back