• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Very Cool 1970 Barracuda / Cuda promo film comparing to Mustang

340challconvert

Reaction score

Dino2.gif

hofilbert

Reaction score
I am still a member on a Mustang forum from my old car. I mostly lurk there and check for messages. Do you think I should post that video over there on that Mustang forum and see what kind of response I get?
seth-NO.gif

budascuda

Reaction score
Hofilbert I always knew you were a ford guy in a mopar's fold.

340challconvert

Reaction score
Maybe the Cuda promo will have the opposite effect at the Ford site; someone will want to sell their Mustang and buy a Cuda!

All kidding aside, my daily driver is a 12 Mustang vert, V6

Dino2 (1).gif

I am still a member on a Mustang forum from my old car. I mostly lurk there and check for messages. Do you think I should post that video over there on that Mustang forum and see what kind of response I get?
View attachment 62443

Jerry Ikemire

Reaction score
LOL I love it! Especially when the announcer says there's enough room to change the spark plugs..."if that's your bag" :rofl:

budascuda

Reaction score
You say that like it is a bad thing! I work at a Ford lot, and these sit in our showroom!

View attachment 62445

View attachment 62446

View attachment 62447

Yeah, I really do.
"fan" means fanatic and not some cooling apparatus here.
One can't be fanatic about mopars, fanatic about gms and fanatic about fords and..................
I think it's silly, might as well be fantastic about colourful summer sandals!
A car enthusiast is not a the same as a mopar entusiast. jmo
Oh, I have to quote Lee Iacocca here, this is what he said about ford's.
"they look like a baked potatoe turned upside down .... "
hot dam, you can't get more accurate than that. They are too round, un necessarily so!, the mustangs are case in point.
But all that aside, there are things wrong about ford and really all manufacturers that sets them apart and would need much much more room to state,. But beside their flawed design/manufacturing philosophy, their corporate decision making has always allowed for under handed sharp business practices that to me seem overly dishonest. (they were the first ones to make cars in china and selling them at market value to the people who lost their jobs to china),
For example, why place Cudas, arguably the most successful mopar in a ford showroom?
Either to trick the new car buyers into thinking "this is ford's heritage"
Or to ride on the coat tail of a success story they never had.
I could be wrong but that is not so innocent as it appears to be, it could be, but it isn't innocent.

Last edited:

DrEamer

Reaction score
Yeah, I really do.
"fan" means fanatic and not some cooling apparatus here.
One can't be fanatic about mopars, fanatic about gms and fanatic about fords and..................
I think it's silly, might as well be fantastic about colourful summer sandals!
A car enthusiast is not a the same as a mopar entusiast. jmo
Oh, I have to quote Lee Iacocca here, this is what he said about ford's.
"they look like a baked potatoe turned upside down .... "
hot dam, you can't get more accurate than that. They are too round, un necessarily so!, the mustangs are case in point.
But all that aside, there are things wrong about ford and really all manufacturers that sets them apart and would need much much more room to state,. But beside their flawed design/manufacturing philosophy, their corporate decision making has always allowed for under handed sharp business practices that to me seem overly dishonest. (they were the first ones to make cars in china and selling them at market value to the people who lost their jobs to china),
For example, why place Cudas, arguably the most successful mopar in a ford showroom?
Either to trick the new car buyers into thinking "this is ford's heritage"
Or to ride on the coat tail of a success story they never had.
I could be wrong but that is not so innocent as it appears to be, it could be, but it isn't innocent.

:rofl:Don't hold back, tell us how you really feel. that said, I find your statements here rather venomous for someone who uses Buda as their user name. That is not meant to be a personal attack, just saying you are being rather harsh over nothing. I, or anyone else, can like as many automobiles as they like. The whole Mopar or no thing is rather short sided. The problem with being fanatical is you refuse to see your own flaws. I have owned vehicles from all the big three, and I can tell you none of them are perfect. They all had things that I liked about them, and others, not so much. I find it ironic that you bring up Lee Iacocca, the man responsible for the Mustang. I have a deep admiration for the man for saving Chrysler, so, if he called something that had a hand in building a potato, that is his option. As far as what is in our showroom, there are also, 1965 Mustang convertible , 1967 Shelby Mustang GT 350, and a early series Bronco. The owner has both our Ford dealership, and a Chrysler/Jeep store. He drives everything from SRT8 Jeeps, to Shelby Mustangs. His dad started with the Chrysler/Desoto/ Plymouth store, so his background was with Ma Mopar. That is why you see Cuda's in the showroom, not because somehow any automaker is following someone else's coattails. I could go on, but honestly, I have better things to do. Believe me, I take a ton of crap for having a Mopar project working in a Ford dealership, and the last place I expected to defend what I like is here.

budascuda

Reaction score
Come on...Don't be upset at me, I wasn't trying to go harsh on you,. You are a kind person and your posts are very considerate, more so than mine, but you used "come on don't hold back now" on another post regarding a 340 build, I liked the line so much I wanted to see it again....lol

Seriously though,. There are many folks on this site but you are in the top ten in my book.
As for the Buda comment, the name has no reflection on me, the car is budha's car, not mine....
About Lee now, I knew you would like that quote, it came from the horse's mouth, yes he was a ford man and ran into problems with ford and had to leave, later on he brought shelby to chrysler as well, they both realized that staying at ford is a lost cause.
Now just listen to me, hofilbert, you too! Maybe I can get a like or agree from you too.
Let's go back to recent history for crap's sake....
You are of an age that you could remember ford Pinto.
They had a fuel tank problem with those cars .
Those cars kept catching fire in rear end type accidents and many people got injured and also killed because of it.
So, the DOT sent the accident reports to ford and wanted the problem fixed. So far this is not any different than any other manufacturer, as you said they all have problems. Now, ford did a through study and quickly found out the problem could be fixed with an $11.20 repair. But they draged their feet and decided to pay the insurance claims rather than fix the problem.
Their reasoning was that it would cost half as much to pay the legal fees related to the injuries and deaths as it would cost to change an $11 part on 2 million cars.
Many people died, incliding children.
Now who the *uck is ford and it's executives to decide that somebody's kid or wife is worth less than a $11.20 hose.
You see, when a person/corporation makes an unethical decision regarding the safety of other's, people of good conscience will loose confidence in the integrity of that person/company. They can not be trusted. Thats that.

Now the only thing I must add here is,
I can't be a fan of ford because of who they are and how they operate, that's my decision and millions of ford owners don't agree with me, but millions do agree with me and they buy gm or chrysler. If you are a chrysler guy, no explanation is needed, if you are a ford guy no explanation is enough!

wedg2go

Reaction score
Love my 1968 Mustang (I still have it)! Just thought I put that out there. LOL!

fanatic to both.jpg

340challconvert

Reaction score
My 2012 Mustang
Before I retired; it was my daily transportation and still is.
Needed a car with good mileage, yet was fun to drive and enjoy on my 2 1/2 hr daily commute back and forth
Wanted a V6 and a convertible (would have bought a Challenger, but no vert available)
So this is the daily car while I work on my A66 convertible.

(as a sidebar note; with 307 hp available, the car got 29 mpg on the highway when driven easy; I often drove it "enthusiastically" and the mileage went down)

Dino2 (1).gif

Stang January 2016.JPG

Last edited:

DrEamer

Reaction score
Well since we are sharing some Mustang love, here are my two. The black one was a 1989 GT, that did street duty, plus some track time. The white 1981 followed as a all out drag car. I know the Fox Body did not alway get a lot of love, but boy were they fun!

IMG_20190812_0001.jpg

1981 Mustang.jpg

Last edited:

budascuda

Reaction score
Love my 1968 Mustang (I still have it)! Just thought I put that out there. LOL!

View attachment 62487

Yes,yes! now we talkin... if I recall correctly, the gas tank in them things actually double as the trunk pan.(the gas tank is inside the car! There is no separation between the gas tank and the occupants)
Imagine, saving two bucks worth of sheet metal , LOL
I don't know how much fun those cars can be, but man, they sure make for good satire. LoL

wedg2go

Reaction score
budascuda - You're right, but it makes me a fanatic for both the Mustang and the E-Bodies none-the-less.

Most 1st and second generational Mustang owners will tell you one of two things. They don't care and drive it - which in my book is not the smart solution - or they applied a fix.

Now for the rest of the story...

I know we placed our aim on the Mustang, but what about other make and models that got by because it saved most manufacturers a buck or two or was engineered incorrectly? The Chevy C-10 side mounted gas tank, the Chevy 10 year ignition switch crisis, the Chevy motor mounts, the Ford Explorer rollovers with defective Firestone tires, Ford Pinto gas filler, etc-etc-etc. There are no guarantees with any make or model all because the manufacturer wants to cut corners or the impact was just enough to find that weakness in design in some of the classic rides (sans crush zones). It all ranges from a life threatening disaster to something that just p***** you off because it was cheaply made (i.e. the 545RFE).

No. To borrow a line, "I'm still lovin' it!" Now bring on that satire! LOL!

DrEamer

Reaction score
Let's face it, the whole automotive industry had to be drug into being safe. The first seat belt was offered as a option in 1949 by Nash. They were not mandated until 1968, and how many manufactures had them as standard equipment before that? I am guessing not many. Yes, Ford's decision to let an unsafe condition go, verses fixing it was certainly immoral. Is is any worse then Ram trucks having the worst IIHS crash rating, and not doing anything to fix it. I really don't know, but that is something that will have to be decided by the consumer when buy their next vehicle.

Last edited:

budascuda

Reaction score
Both you guys are %100 right and fair, I give you that, thats for sure.
And wedge2go, what I said above is no satire, I hope I didn't disappoint.

DrEamer

Reaction score
Most 1st and second generational Mustang owners will tell you one of two things. They don't care and drive it - which in my book is not the smart solution - or they applied a fix.
This line sort of hit me on my drive into work today. I guess really if we were all concerned with safety, we would not driving these cars. They do not have anti-lock brakes, traction control, blind spot monitors, yet we chose to drive them. That said, my car is getting updated to full disc brakes, front and rear three point harness's and a chassis stiffening kit, better suspension, all in an effort to make it not only safer, but more fun to drive. Just a side thought, carry on with our prior discussion.

budascuda

Reaction score
Safety is every thing. Anything that can cause injury or death is serious business, especially for fast cars.
The most frightening driving experience I have ever had was the time when the driver side lower control arm on my car broke it's housing bracket (factory welded to the frame) and that caused the car to veer off into the incoming traffic. Miraculously, no one was injured and no crash. the car is a 66 De Ville and even though I knew that nothing was going to happen to me, I was frightened for the people in their cars coming the opposite direction......
I dont think anybody can live a normal life after a crash that causes fatalities .....
When it comes to old cars, this is true; metal fatigue is real, it's dangerous and its inexorable. for that reason I have rarely driven the caddy since repair and only on short little trips on the back roads.

I am about to re do the front suspension on the Cuda with all new component and maybe even upgrading a few oem parts too. so with that experience in my past, it's obvious that I can't use overseas parts and have to wait till quality parts turn up, slowly.

Back