• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

74 Challenger

sportster2000

Reaction score
Hi all, been reading here a bit to find out info to help me on my way to get my car done. I bought the car 7 years ago (from a neighbor that had more projects than money) with hopes of getting it done in a year. Well that didn't happen. Every time I looked at another part I found issues so I went ahead and pretty much went through the entire car so far and I still haven't touched the interior. I have gotten to the little stuff to buy where I have no clue what I should be looking for, I'm actually a Ford guy, please don't hate me. The car was a mobile shell. When I bought he asked what engine and trans I wanted as it had none. I choose a 440 and a 4 speed. I know it isn't correct but the originals were long gone. It was a 318? and an auto trans. I did get a lot of spare parts with it. I even got a radiator with it, too bad it was for a mid 80's dodge truck. My main problem is that the car resides in my brothers garage 135 miles away from me. Makes working on it kind of difficult. Ended up replacing all of the floor pans because of rust. Stripped all of the undercoating off of the under side and putting POR 15 and more new undercoating on it. The firewall was a mess. The previous owner once removed took and air chisel and a drill to it to help him make it a drag car. It isn't the prettiest car out there, but it is still a work in progress and I will eventually make it to be what I want it to be. Hopefully this year will be the year it runs.
0505111232-00.jpg

sportster2000

Reaction score
I bought a taller intake, Edlebrock Victor to be exact. Trying to find out how to modify the original throttle bracket or to see if one is available to purchase somewhere that would work with it. The other option is to buy a more original style and throw it on there and then I wouldn't have to worry about it. I'll have to get a new hood if I keep the intake on it.

The engine is currently a 1976 ish 440 block with factory heads off of a 1968 block. Comp Cam 509 equivalent cam, Headman headers (never doing that again), and a mild porting job on the heads.

sportster2000

Reaction score
Well it runs and it mostly done. It will be ten years next year since I bought it. Will always be an ongoing project but it is close for now.
img_2339.jpg

moparlee

Reaction score
Looks good. Congrats on getting it to this point:thumbsup:. Like you said, it seems like there is always something to do on our project cars. Thanks for updating us on your Challenger.

sportster2000

Reaction score
Took it to the Nationals in Columbus last weekend.
img_3242.jpg

Goal was to get a sticker on the windshield to commemorate the first year of it being on the road and good enough to drive without breakdowns.

img_3243.jpg

Pic of it broke down.
img_2879.jpg

moparlee

Reaction score
Damn, I really hate it when I see a broken down Mopar, especially feel bad for the driver:(. What happened and did you get it back on the road. Congrats for getting your Challenger to the Nationals:thumbsup:.

sportster2000

Reaction score
That event was an over heating issue. I was able to get it back on the road. The week before the Nationals it broke down. It took a new coil, new alternator, and a new voltage regulator to get it going again. All of those items were new.

Back