• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Torque Converter Help

Reaction score
1971 Barracuda' - 318 - 440 Swap. 727 AUTO Stock (will install a shift kit). 3.55 8-3/4 Rear. 440 has a Mopar performance Purple Shaft Cam. 1974 440 Block with stock manifold and 2.5" Exhaust. I will try to get specs., Edelbrock 440 intake, Holley 750. 15" wheels with Mickey Thompson Sportsman 60 series rear tire.
Looking for help with a Torque converter. with or without weights / stall speed. Building a Fun Street Car. I was looking at The TCI Midnight Special Summit had #141500

dolphin3111

Reaction score
Back in 1971, I bought a new 440-6 Challenger with the same rear end as you have. The first thing I did was install a set of headers. The second was to install a 11" TCI converter. The car was a lot more fun. You might consider an 11" rather than 12" with a stall speed of 2500 rpm.

Reaction score
Back in 1971, I bought a new 440-6 Challenger with the same rear end as you have. The first thing I did was install a set of headers. The second was to install a 11" TCI converter. The car was a lot more fun. You might consider an 11" rather than 12" with a stall speed of 2500 rpm.
My cam Duration is 238/238.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Motor Install.jpeg

Reaction score
Motor is in. After Trans & Torque Converter I will need to deal with the manifolds..... this should be a good time!

moparlee

Reaction score
I would recommend you talk directly to the torque converter mfrs. They will ask all the appropriate questions and give you a recommendation.

DrEamer

Reaction score
If you have a good core converter, you may want to consider having it custom tuned/rebuilt by one of the reputable performance torque converter places. They can dial it in much better then an off the shelf unit. Many times the cost is the same as off the self, or less. A1 in Vancouver WA quoted me $275. Even it is a little more, its worth the money to have it done right.

moparleo

Reaction score
Ditto on talking to the TC manufacturer. They need all of the info like HP, Torque, gear ratio, vehicle weight, and much more. Also get a deep transpan for added capacity and a large trans cooler as you will be building a lot of extra heat in the trans with a slipping convertor.
How To Select The Right Torque Converter (W/ Pics & Video) 2016

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thank you all for the help! I spoke with TCI- They recommended - 2400 Stall speed with External Weights. I have a 1974 440 with externally Balanced Damper.

transman

Reaction score
A STOCK 11" 440 converter is rated by the factory at 18-2100 stall. A bit more is will be found if and when you increase the power of the engine. Not knowing where you live, I'd also contact some of the other converter builders, like Dynamic or PTC. Make sure you give them ALL the information they ask for and don't b.s. them, about what you've done to your engine. I worked in the converter industry, and give me the wrong information and you'll get the wrong converter. There is a wide opinion on TCI converters on other boards, and while I've never seen a Mopar Saturday Night special apart, I have seen a GM Saturday Night Special apart and there wasn't a whole lot of work done to it.
Don't let price be your only guide to your purchase, as you'll only get what you pay for.
Lastly, used converters make great door stops.

Back