• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

70 challenger hood hinges

left to right

Reaction score
having heaps of trouble adjusting hood hinges tried all the install guides either too high at rear and can push hood down by hand or to low
anyone used ringbrothers hinges if so do they take this ply out of the hood

Rich G.

Reaction score
You shouldn’t be able to move the back of the hood up or down when it’s closed. If you can the hinge is worn out. You can get the original hinges rebuilt if you want.

left to right

Reaction score
You shouldn’t be able to move the back of the hood up or down when it’s closed. If you can the hinge is worn out. You can get the original hinges rebuilt if you want.
i got new amd hinges did not fix the problem
bit hard to get them rebuilt as i am in australia
do not know anyone here that can redo them
that is why i thought just replace them with ringbrothers hinges if it fixes the problem

rbbruno3

Reaction score
I have ring brothers hinges . There is no play up and down on back edge. (When tight)They cost like 3times what an original set cost. Like Rich said you shouldn’t have up and down play with everything tight.

Last edited:

340challconvert

Reaction score
I downloaded this from Resto Rick's site several years ago, since I always had trouble with proper hood adjustments;

Challenger hood adjustments

Before removing the hood hinges, it can be helpful to make alignment references with masking tape on the hood and fenders.

Also note the alignments to the fenders so you know what you have. With the fenders incorrectly aligned, the hood to fender gaps will not be parallel.

With a helper or 2, unbolt the hood from the hood hinges and remove.
Then remove the hinges from the inner fender.

For reinstalling, bolt the hood hinges to the inner fender at about midway in the vertical
Adjustment slots. Install the hood to the hinges.

Front to rear adjustments are on the hood side area of the hinges.
Up & down adjustments are on the inner fender area of the hinges.
Side to side movement is controlled by the latch positioning and fender side bumpers.
On rare occasions the side position has to "tweaked" by a push on the rear of the hood to the side, causing slight bending of the hinge arms.
The front height is controlled by the bump stop studs with the rubber caps.

A common alignment problem on E-body & 71-up B-bodies is the rear edge being up too high with the hinges being adjusted all the way down on the inner fender.
This is an adjustment problem! Start by moving the hinge up on the inner fender. (yes, up!)
Then, loosen the 2 rear bolts and leave the front bolt snug. Now lift the hood to make the hinge rotate (as viewed from the side). Retighten the rear bolts and check the fit. This procedure will get that tail to come down. Adjust the front-to-rear dimension on the hood side bolts.
It can be frustrating and take some time, but these hoods will fit correctly! I’ve installed them with the hood sitting about 2 1/2" above the fender! Within a few minutes it was fitting perfect!

Last edited:

340challconvert

Reaction score
A simplistic solution; I used to try to get the sides of the hood to be even with the fenders when the hood usually stuck up a little to high, especially at the back. I kept trying to lower the hinge or push the hood down. Actually loosening the hinge and pushing the hood up actually pushes the hood down a little. It takes multiple adjustments to get it correct. Read through the Rick article. It could help.
Dino2 (2).gif

left to right

Reaction score
I have ring brothers hinges . There is no play up and down on back edge. (When tight)They cost like 3times what an original set cost. Like Rich said you shouldn’t have up and down play with everything tight.
as you said ring brothers hinges are 3 times the price. are they worth it? are they easier to set and adjust position

rbbruno3

Reaction score
6BE8435A-EF1A-447D-82E4-D0BD44414374.jpeg
They were for me as my car is not stock and they look much better. They have all the same adjustments as stock hinges. They are not hard to adjust, just need a couple extra hands

Back