• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

What would you do?

Cuda416

Reaction score
Ok, here goes.

I have a 70' Convertible Barracuda project (rust bucket). I've had it for about 8 years now and haven't done anything but find parts etc. Now that my shop is built, I'll be looking at starting the build in the next year with any luck. I'm going to need a lot of sheet metal.

My "problem" is this.....

It's one of 125 to have been built with a 3 speed manual. (VIN:BH27G0*) ...

With the rate the the high dollar big block cars (real ones) are at, do I care? Does it make sense to put it back to stock, or so whatever the heck I want to with it? I could always build it in such a way as to be able to "make it stock again" but the original motor is long gone, though I have the transmission, and I'll be replacing a lot of sheet metal. It was a Minnesota car that was in an accident which destroyed the core support. Did I say rust bucket, yeah, rust bucket.

Anyway, I'm interested in the general consensus

Understand that when I say "Do whatever the heck i want", I'm not talking about butchering it, rather different mechanical parts, color, add a wing, etc.

Thanks

-=C

moparleo

Reaction score
Is it all about the money? If it needs that much work and is not a 'Cuda model or a big block car you are not likely to recoup the money/time spent on a proper resto, so...……… What do You want ? A nice car ?? A "clone" ? or sell it now and invest in something in better condition... Your money, your time...

Cuda416

Reaction score
Is it all about the money? If it needs that much work and is not a 'Cuda model or a big block car you are not likely to recoup the money/time spent on a proper resto, so...……… What do You want ? A nice car ?? A "clone" ? or sell it now and invest in something in better condition... Your money, your time...

No, not about the money, just trying to decide on which direction to go. Wasn't an issue until I looked up production numbers and thought "Cool", it's kind of rare in a way. Sometimes its cool to be different.

Anyway, this isn't getting flipped, I'll probably get buried in it some day.

-C

Reaction score
If I'm reading this correctly, original 318 motor gone, I'd find a 340-360 motor, keep the three speed trans under the bench if it's #s matching, put a 833 4 speed trans in it's place.
No drive shaft, floor hump, bellhousing, or clutch linkage modifications required. Simply bolt in the 4 speed and shifter.
Make the car more enjoyable to drive with out really "changing" a whole lot as it would just be a bolt in swap.
I did this exact swap for a local fellow about 20 years ago. It was a 318 71 Barracuda 3 speed floor shift.
He kept the 318 under the hood, and the 3 speed and shifter went under the work bench, as it was original to the car.
He told me later he was at first skeptical of the swap but as he drove it he knew it was the right thing to do
It' a rare car, but it's YOUR car to do as you want.
Just my 2 cent's worth.

RJHJR

Reaction score
Exactly what 704406 said and...
Add posi,
with a 3.23 which will make it more highway friendly.
and maybe do a 'what if' car...freaks out purists but...

this guy
Dogmatic Creations
made this
28429_398050469092_2827680_n.jpg
28429_398073999092_1366222_n.jpg
28429_398074014092_7422967_n.jpg

Rich G.

Reaction score
It’s different but not having the original engine I guess would hurt a little. You say it’s a rust bucket so you’re replacing a lot of the original metal. Probably not a high dollar car if it was all original anyway but hey it’s a convertible Barracuda, how many are out there? I was in the same boat with my 318 rust bucket barracuda too. I put a 340 , 5 speed in and built it exactly the way I wanted it. If you didn’t look at the vin tag you would think it’s a stock original car. Build it, drive it and enjoy it your way.

72746594-FD9F-431C-8CC2-5866651A95EA.jpeg

aussiemark

Reaction score
I would say with the original engine gone and a lot of sheet metal getting replaced it would be a great starting point to build it the way you would have ordered it if buying it as a new car or add modern parts as you wish.

Cuda416

Reaction score
Thanks for the points of view everyone.

When I bought the car, my intent was to go the route of a convertible AAR styled car with a stroked 400 (451+) to save weight but still get displacement. I've collected quite a few hard to find parts (18 spline A833, Rallye switch pod for a vert, 3 speaker dash etc.) to that end, but when I say the numbers, I was really surprised and as I said, not for the monetary value, but for the simple value of it being different.

I'll most likely go the route of making it my own like everyone has said, but keeping faithful to ma MoPar as much possible. No mini tubs, crazy interior changes, or bug catcher scoops :)

Thanks again.

-=C

Rob C

Reaction score
Building your way. **** the world!
Ok, here goes.

I have a 70' Convertible Barracuda project (rust bucket). I've had it for about 8 years now and haven't done anything but find parts etc. Now that my shop is built, I'll be looking at starting the build in the next year with any luck. I'm going to need a lot of sheet metal.

My "problem" is this.....

It's one of 125 to have been built with a 3 speed manual. (VIN:BH27G0*) ...

With the rate the the high dollar big block cars (real ones) are at, do I care? Does it make sense to put it back to stock, or so whatever the heck I want to with it? I could always build it in such a way as to be able to "make it stock again" but the original motor is long gone, though I have the transmission, and I'll be replacing a lot of sheet metal. It was a Minnesota car that was in an accident which destroyed the core support. Did I say rust bucket, yeah, rust bucket.

Anyway, I'm interested in the general consensus

Understand that when I say "Do whatever the heck i want", I'm not talking about butchering it, rather different mechanical parts, color, add a wing, etc.

Thanks

-=C

Cojohnso

Reaction score
I DARE YOU. Keep 3 speed and crate Chevy 350 motor. REALLY piss people off? Oh. And add a 12 bolt posi rear?

Cojohnso

Reaction score
Even more blasphemous? A rarer Ford power plant? Twice the build cost for 1/2 the value? At least you will be talked about?

Cojohnso

Reaction score
LOL> Someone should report you for that comment.
Lol. I know. Sometimes I get a smart ass streak built up. Ford folks don't seem to mind if Chevy power plants are used. But Mopar? It's war words!

rklein71

Reaction score
My 71 BHG, originally a two tone tan with white top car, AC, car. I could have got the original engine, decided to build my car the way I want. Converted to a four speed, threw a 408 stroker, US Car tools chassis stiffening kit, tubular upper control arms, four wheel discs, bigger front and rear sway bars and torsion bars. This is my forever car, and I want to drive it. Do what makes you happy with your car!!! Rod

IMG_0799.JPG

Cudakiller70

Reaction score
I’m in the camp of your car your way. Rare isn’t always desirable.

Last edited:

1972 AAR Cuda

Reaction score
If you want a driver go with a nice 340 4 or 5 speed, if you to go for speed put in a big block 4 speed. Build what you want and enjoy.

gzig5

Reaction score
If its a small block car already, I'd go with a 408 stroker with the A833. Lighter than the big block and will bolt up to your bell housing. 500hp/500lb-ft without trying too hard that will cruise or race to your hearts delight. Blueprint will build you one with a 3yr/50k warranty for under $7k. It can always be taken back to original configuration if you want to

moparagtop

Reaction score
CB980D8E-3A6D-407C-BA51-FA36C53D6AE0.jpeg
E47804D3-7509-4768-979C-7F8150EB3AB0.jpeg
I had a similar dilemma. My car is 1 of 1 with the options it came with. 70 Chally convertible with an original crush grain white top, white interior, factory A/C, power windows, power disc brakes and even sway bars and very rare and very ugly Y3 beige body. I have owned the car (2nd owner) since 1974. I painted it red 4 years after I owned it since it just looked like a dirty white convertible. I still have the original 318 engine and tranny with 58,000 miles. The car was used extensively and needed a full restore. I kept it true Mopar NOS down to the speakers but painted it red again and put in a 1970 stroked 340 with an original Six Pack and carbs. It’s still one of one but a much better looking and more valuable car than if left original. I’ve won many awards, including 3rd place at one of the most prestigious shows on Long Island, NY. (They’ve been instructed to bury me in mine.)
Rare is not always pretty. The original color combo made sure of that. Do what you want and don’t look back!!!!!

Back