• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Sound Deadening for Doors

money pit

Reaction score
Where should sound deadening material such as Dynamate be placed on the doors? I've seen it on the inside on the doors and on the outside of the doors (under the interior door panels). I was thinking about using Lizard skin. Has anyone had experience with Lizard skin? Will Lizard skin deaden more sound? Thanks

Reaction score
I improved the interior noise levels in my 70 Challenger R/T with the following:
- Glued used OEM floor insulation (jute plus a tar-ish backing ) from a junkyard minivan (lots of flat material, and dirt cheap) to the insides of the door panel plastic. needed to avoid the space where it screws to the bracket, but otherwise pretty easy.
- Used Dynamat to cover the rear seat floor, package tray metal, and all of the openings around the trunk divider, since a lot of noise comes in there. I also added the minivan floor insulation to the backside of both seat cushions.
- Ditto above for the rear quarter trim panels, covered the window mechanism access areas.
- Stuffed insulation into the sail panel area from inside the trunk.
Basically, I wanted to stop noise transmission from the trunk area into the passenger compartment. All of the modifications are hidden.
I HAD a noisy rear axle (still do, another sad story) but now I really have to listen to hear it.
Mark

money pit

Reaction score
Thanks. That's good advice. I also have a lot of noise from the trunk, exhaust, and rear end areas.

Fishgutz

Reaction score
I had my Cuda sprayed with Lizard Skin sound deadener and heat shield before paint. Still assembling, not sure how well it works, we’re gonna find out pretty soon.

7D5C5A6C-122A-4970-9DF9-2E01F4EF8267.jpeg

162AB19C-48B5-46D1-A583-018AA06F45BF.jpeg

Fishgutz

Reaction score
Thanks, it looks really nice.
If you’re good with a spray gun or can afford to have it done, it’s a bunch easier than Dynamat. I don’t recommend doing the inside of your doors. Really difficult to the spray gun in there and get it even.

Fishgutz

Reaction score
If you’re good with a spray gun or can afford to have it done, it’s a bunch easier than Dynamat. I don’t recommend doing the inside of your doors. Really difficult to the spray gun in there and get it even.
Correction: Really difficult to get the spray gun in there.

money pit

Reaction score
Thanks. I think I might go with the dynamat route since the Lizard skin is a bit pricey to have it done. I already have the interior and headliner in.

John Rimel

Reaction score
I used Raptor on the entire floor. Then used Raptor in a can for the doors. I then used Dynamat on the inside of the doors and the inside of the quarter window area. Oh, also Raptored the rood before the headliner went in. Doors now close solid

JohnP

Reaction score
Good Day
I have used this product as below link to do my whole interior including inside door panels and fenders. I also laid soundproofing and heat shield product from the same company. I found it east to apply except the internal door panels. I brushed the product on to the door panels as it is hidden. Made a large difference to stop the noise. Check the sites and they do a demo of a drum symbol noise before and after application.

Cheers

insulation.jpg

Double noise reduction.jpg

Back