• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Dash Pad Removal

money pit

Reaction score
Does anyone know if I can remove the dash pad without removing the whole dash? I have a 70 Barracuda. I have a single speaker and No AC.
Also, do they make a rebuild/seal kit for the heater box? Mine got destroyed when I removed the cover. The unit was so brittle it disintegrated. Thanks

Reaction score
The dash pad will come off without pulling the whole assembly, I've done it 3 times.
The windshield trim pieces must come off, the glove box assembly, the dash cluster and the switch panel.
It's a lot of work but it is possible, depends how much work you want to do

money pit

Reaction score
I have everything off except the gauge cluster. What holds the dash pad on? I saw the 4 bolts in the defroster vents, what holds it in the front? Is it the studs? I plan on installing AC, so I'm going to send the dash pad out for repair. Thanks

Reaction score
Those 4 bolts you refer to hold the whole metal dash frame to the cowl, along with the two bolts on the sides of the frame and the steering column studs.
They have nothing to do with holding on the dash pad.
The dash pad has captured studs that go thru the metal frame, and have what look like speed nuts on the bottom. look where the cluster was and you will see 3 nuts sticking down from under where the cluster light bar was.
I don't remember how many studs there are for sure probably a dozen, I have a spare pad I could count the studs and maybe take a picture if it would help you.
If you are going with ac you probably should do as Grady Cain suggested and remove the whole dash assembly as I believe the ac ducting it different than non ac ducting.
Let me know if you want pictures, I'd be happy to post some.

money pit

Reaction score
Those 4 bolts you refer to hold the whole metal dash frame to the cowl, along with the two bolts on the sides of the frame and the steering column studs.
They have nothing to do with holding on the dash pad.
The dash pad has captured studs that go thru the metal frame, and have what look like speed nuts on the bottom. look where the cluster was and you will see 3 nuts sticking down from under where the cluster light bar was.
I don't remember how many studs there are for sure probably a dozen, I have a spare pad I could count the studs and maybe take a picture if it would help you.
If you are going with ac you probably should do as Grady Cain suggested and remove the whole dash assembly as I believe the ac ducting it different than non ac ducting.
Let me know if you want pictures, I'd be happy to post some.
I was trying to pull just the pad because I want to bring it to the Mopar Fall Fling in So Cal, because I want to take the core to ABC Moparts and pick up a new pad. I'm trying to save on shipping and the core charge. I agree. I will need to pull the whole dash when I install the AC.
I see the studs you are talking about. Thanks for your help.

moparleo

Reaction score
Pulling the whole thing as an assembly is the way the factory did it. A lot faster than trying to take a shower with your clothes on and trying not to get wet. Many youtube videos out there. You are less likely to damage something with it out on a bench. only 4 bolts hold the assembly in. Mark the cables and wires with some tape and a marker and just unplug the stuff. You will also have access to the electrical as well as the a/c ducting. As said before it is a pretty simple operation. Don't get scared now.
Just Dashes Production Center: Instructions: 1970-’74 Mopar E-Body Dash Pad Removal and Replacement

Adam

Reaction score
There are eleven pal nuts (I believe) that hold the pad on. But you have to be a contortionist to get to them. I agree with the others, just pull the whole unit, it is much easier.

Ralph

Reaction score
I did it on a 73 cuda, lots of work. Alot of those pal nuts are hard to get too. Taking the front seats out makes it easier laying on your back.
Good time to rebuild everything while it is out. You can also have your heater box detailed by the heater box guy. He does a beautiful job.
Had by dashpad redone by just dashes, done beautifully.
Good luck with your project.

timdp

Reaction score
Have taken out the dash pad by itself. As others have said, a bunch of nuts that are not always easy to get to, but it is doable.

How are you going to do the AC? Looking at putting AC back in my AC car, but don't have all of the original hardware.

Back