• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Octane red 71 Challenger

aussiemark

Reaction score
One important lesson; NEVER use Brake Cleaner fluid or Industrial Grade Aerokroil Rust Buster in a garage that is attached to the house.
Could be grounds for divorce?
Be forewarned!
And always shut all the doors and windows in the house before you even think of sand blasting or sanding body filler and check to see if she has any washing on the line.

Knock Out

Reaction score
And don’t clean your transmission in the bathtub believe it or not my friends uncle actually did that

i_taz

Reaction score
I’ve seen the car blue for almost 15 years.
I like F7 green, they’re all like yuk.
I could easily love Black with white stripes.
I’m not really a red guy, but everyone likes that High Octane red.
Years ago I pulled the hood off, and had another local shop paint the bottom of the hood, as it was flat black and drove me nuts. Funny thing is I like that color, he insisted it’s B5 blue, I said it looks like it’s got a little green in it?
I thought about having him mix up a couple gallons, and match it, but the painter doing the car says that’s not B5 blue.
Anyways by changing the color to a more current paint code, I figured it may pop more, and end some of the, is it all original questions I get.
Most people that know mopars, can determine pretty quickly if it’s a original v code car, and the moment it’s started they know it’s not original, as it’s got at least a 100 or more horsepower then original, and idles like a super stocker. I’ve ran 11s in the car and lifted around a 1,000 feet.

F7....Thumbs up...!

12sandwich

Reaction score
0FFD05D2-8E77-4C80-9DEB-5242E2D640A9.jpeg
Well it’s settled

12sandwich

Reaction score
ABEED142-072D-42B1-8F06-77B1FCF5A30B.jpeg
Actually it’s not Octane red. It’s a Ruby red, with House of Kolor Kosmic show clear.
Stainless brake lines are run, and Borgeson conversion is in. About to drop the engine in carefully.
Don’t look at steering sector shaft, as I pulled it today, and finished drilling the roll pins, and installed a new seal and plastic bushing, painted it. Got a Rim blow for it.

Last edited:

i_taz

Reaction score
If your going custom, go all the way..... Your wife was onto something....!

Adam

Reaction score
I really like B5 blue, but that looks fantastic! Two of the things I like about Mopars are the high impact colors and that they are far less common than other brands; no one will have a car that looks like yours, well done!

12sandwich

Reaction score
F5DC25E4-4E32-460D-B6F7-AF874AE732D4.jpeg
I can’t wait to see it all together, fenders on and stripes all on. It turned out way prettier than we expected.
The painter, Danny, calls me a few weeks back. He’s like you got to order another set of stripes! I’m like why are they wrong?
He says they look awesome but I ruined one side. Come down and look at it.
I probably have another week on it, and he gets it back to put the fenders, grille, bumpers, on it, buff it again.
I’ll focus on the interior and putting dynamat down, new carpet, headliner etc.. over the next couple months.
Then onto my car!

12sandwich

Reaction score
Well should put the intake and carbs on today.
Got the driveline shift linkage pretty much everything underneath done.

FC618CF3-8E00-4CA1-B6C5-C657ADABB0F6.jpeg

i_taz

Reaction score
Set of Cragar's and you'll have an 'authentic' 1970 muscle car. Customizing was the game of the game back then...

12sandwich

Reaction score
It’s not that far from a stock car. That color should have been available. IMO

12sandwich

Reaction score
So close
Wiring is being time consuming, as it’s getting the tape pulled off, and new fabric style tape put on. Cleaned up to were it looks nice, as it all worked and didn’t require replaced.
A water pump pulley was being a problem, as the new power steering pump belt runs where the alternator was before. It seems I had them possibly reversed anyways.
A buddy came through and we dug through his acres of mopar gold, and a 73-74 van 440 gave up its water pump pulley. Somewhat larger pulley compared to the one I had, so the water pump will slow down a bit, but it aligns perfect, but the pulleys almost touch. Hmm power gain maybe?
B9724258-2958-412A-A2D6-AC9B9BACDB03.jpeg

Back