• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Carb choice

bullet18

Reaction score
I found this holley 950 3 barrel on ebay. Does anyone know if this would be a good setup for my automatic 512 lowdeck stroker. Also if all holley chokes are universal. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

bullet18

Reaction score
Heres the pic

Screenshot_20191020-174854_eBay.jpg

Adam

Reaction score
If you are going to use the car for the street I would pass on that and get a carb that already has an electric choke, instead of trying to piece it together.

You might be able to get away with it if your intake has a heat crossover passage, and you drive it in fair weather.. but lots of other carbs out there.

Rob C

Reaction score
That carb isn’t exactly a good choice for street or mild street strip engines. That is a full blown high speed race carb. I know of a few guys that had them. Never a good out come.

A new carb is the way to go. You’ll be miles and smiles waaaaay a head of the game.

bullet18

Reaction score
Ive found afew with chokes. The thing is, all the other 850+ carbs are double pumpers which i hear aren't great for the street. I do have exhaust crossover on my street dominator single plane.

Last edited:

Adam

Reaction score
I like to use SearchTempest.com for stuff like this. It will search all Craigslist in your area, and EBay at the same time. For the fun of it I found several Holley 750s near me for under $200.. I think you would be happy with one with vacuum secondaries and electric choke; these are easy to adjust with different jets, secondary springs and such... use the blue gaskets, they are reusable a few times.

Looking at a carb calculator for 512 ci, a Holley 750 or 780 cfm carb will suit your needs for a street motor, until you get near 6000 rpm. How often will your motor see that...

Last edited:

gzig5

Reaction score
brand new Edelbrock 800 CFM AVS2 is less than $400. Going to be hard to beat for a street driven car.

Rob C

Reaction score
We don’t even know the rest of your setup so carb recommendations are going to be on the low cfm side.

A double pumper is easy to drive on the street. If sized right! Even so, if it is to large, or the rpm to low for the engine to swallow it, you’ll know it right fast and all you do is back off the pedal a bit. You’ll learn where the engine likes full throttle and not. Drive accordingly....

bullet18

Reaction score
I am going to aluminum max wedge heads eventually with a goal of 650-700 chp while having it remain semi streetable(in fair weather, obviously). Supposedly comparable setups can achieve volumetric efficiencies of more than 100% which is why im looking for such a large carb. I am looking into the the avs2 if its big enough.

Rob C

Reaction score
AndyF is a member of FABO/FBBO who also writes for Hot Rod magazine as a free lancer uses a 800 Edelbrock on his low deck 470 stroker which he dynoed to the tune of 700hp I think it was. You can also find him on MoParts.

Look him up and drop him a line. He is very helpful and easy going.

69hemibeep

Reaction score
I used one of those in the mid seventies with a gear driven kit to the rear barrel and an accelerator pump kit to the rear also. It worked great at full throttle but was ill mannered on the street

Rob C

Reaction score
I used one of those in the mid seventies with a gear driven kit to the rear barrel and an accelerator pump kit to the rear also. It worked great at full throttle but was ill mannered on the street
That’s exactly what I always heard. It’s of the primary driving around town issue but getting the secondary side to be smooth and well behaved on the street. My neighbor said he got so frustrated and angry he threw his into the wall wrecking it. And didn’t care a bit.

3 barrel ?

Yes! Holley and Carter introduced a modified 4bbl. carb buy carving out the the section between the rear two barrels for increased cfm capacity. The secondary throttle plates were replaced by a single large oval plate.
These were esigned for NASCAR racing.

Carter was tapped by the Pontiac division for this. I have only seen pictures of the Carter.

bullet18

Reaction score
i guess thats all i really needed to hear. I cant really beat a carb thats got the potential for 700hp and good throttle response.

Rob C

Reaction score
You’ll be miles ahead of the game and so much happier with a new carb sized right for what your doing.
Waaaaaaaaaay happier!

bullet18

Reaction score
You’ll be miles ahead of the game and so much happier with a new carb sized right for what your doing.
Waaaaaaaaaay happier!
I was told that you wanted a carb that flowed 2x your displacement but i guess thats for w/o performance.

Rob C

Reaction score
I was told that you wanted a carb that flowed 2x your displacement but i guess thats for w/o performance.
For a 340, that would be a 680 cfm unit. That would be for a street/strip performer IMO. Still drivable on the streets. You could go to 780 without driving issues.

On a 512, it would still perform really well but by the numbers, a 512 is looking at 1,024 cfm. AKA, a 1050 Dominator or one of the top 1,000 cfm 4150’s. Those are really nice. If I was purchasing new for a hot engine, that 1,000/4250 I’d eyeball pretty good for the street and it would still perform rather well in the strip.

A lot depends on the HP made and the rpm turned to get there. How much power are you making and where it happens?

Last edited:
Back