• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

fuel return and vent/vapor lines

STEVEN DEMASI

Reaction score
I recently bought a 1971 Cuda with a 426 crate engine. With all great deals come some surprises. This cuda only has a fuel line and no return or vent lines, it has four nipples on the gas tank and two are plugged and two open. My garage completely smells like gas and although I am ok with it, my wife is not. I am looking to to close the loop and am looking for some help, guidance and suggestions. Any and all ideas, pictures, diagrams are more than welcome.

This is what i am working with, gas tank with four vent nipples and only one fuel line. see pics. Also, the trunk has a hole for a fuel vapor base plate kit. see pics
nipples.JPG
tank.JPG
single line.JPG
trunk.JPG

I am thinking i should run three more lines. A fuel return and two lines to a vapor separator. then the separator line to the valve breather cover. Please let me know if this sounds like a good sound idea. I am not totally sure where to run the fuel return too. Was thinking about using something similar to below pics. This will be my first time working with the fuel lines.
vent lines.jpg

vent vapor kit.png

vapor separator.jpg

thanks for any help
Steve

Rich G.

Reaction score
This is what should be in the trunk on a 71 and connect to the tank.

36154A2B-ADCE-4CC4-AE69-A998A8A5784E.jpeg

Steve340

Reaction score
The vent connections are all shown in the 1971 factory service manual
I believe Mega Parts has all the stuff you need to connect it all up as per factory.
Which by the way works really well.
There is no fuel line return to the tank. If you press ahead with that idea be aware the fuel supply pressure will be low.

STEVEN DEMASI

Reaction score
The vent connections are all shown in the 1971 factory service manual
I believe Mega Parts has all the stuff you need to connect it all up as per factory.
Which by the way works really well.
There is no fuel line return to the tank. If you press ahead with that idea be aware the fuel supply pressure will be low.

So do you think I would need a vapor separator?? I thought they require a return fuel line. I could be wrong.

Steve340

Reaction score
I know the B Body 440 HP and 426 cars have them. Not sure about E Body big block cars.
My car is a factory 340 car and it does not have one, and it is fairly hot here in the summer and it has never vapour locked.
Vapour lock which occurs in the fuel feed line and venting vapour from the fuel tank are two different things although I have seen posts where people get them mixed up.
I am going to say correct you do not need the vapour separator.
But you do need to vent the fuel tank correctly.

Steve340

Reaction score
I just looked at the pics you posted and there is something wrong with the way the rear shocks are mounted so I would look at that also.
Just checked Mega Parts site and he lists the vapour separator you posted as being for E body cars.
The vapour separator does require a return line to the tank.
Sort out the venting problem first. On my car I have a line that runs from the vent system up to the engine bay and it goes in to the valve cover breather.
When the engine runs the PCV system sucks all the fuel vapours from the fuel tank in to the engine.

Rich G.

Reaction score
Good catch steve340, the shock plates are on wrong. He need to turn the plates so the shock bolts facing straight back.

Last edited:

STEVEN DEMASI

Reaction score
Steve340, thanks for catching the shock plates, i am going to correct that.

Also, can anyone confirm the size of the vapor line, i have seen both 5/16" and 1/4". I have a soft copy of the service manual, but really don't see anything about the size and location of the lines. I am confident they follow the fuel line, so i am sure i can figure that out. Just need to get the right size line and clips.

Steve340

Reaction score
The vent line is 5/16 and it does follow the fuel line.
The fuel tank vapour system does connect a specific way. Make sure you connect all lines to the right connection on the tube up in the trunk.
I have a 1971 Challenger FSM but a good diagram is on page 14-124
Also make sure you have the appropriate fuel cap fitted. The cap on a Challenger allows pressure/vacuum air flow so you do not get too much of either building up.

moparlee

Reaction score
From the 1971 FSM. The vent line goes to one of the ports on the 3 port valve cover breather cap. In '71 the fuel vapor separater was only used on the 440 & 426.
IMG_20191117_192025.jpg

Challenge360

Reaction score
Thanks, for posting that diagram. I'm looking for the shield that is pictured. I believe it protects the lines, where they pass through the frame, above the muffler.

moparlee

Reaction score
Thanks, for posting that diagram. I'm looking for the shield that is pictured. I believe it protects the lines, where they pass through the frame, above the muffler.
Yes the shield does protect the tubes and hoses. It is a hard part to find as they are typically rusted out or removed and I don't think they are re-popped. Luckily the one on my '71 was still in good shape.

Back