• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Chip Foose Cuda design changes

DrEamer

Reaction score
I found this interesting, Chip makes 3 subtle that he thinks makes the car look better. Your thoughts?

Adam

Reaction score
Maybe I’m too old, but I generally do not like Foose modified cars. His usual treatment is to lower the car, put too big (imo) wheels, and a two tone paint job. Some of his cars look good, and I would be happy to have them, GTO, Chevelle, Camaros, etc. These GM cars tend to be common and need help standing out. As for the Cuda I don’t think the front wheel needs to move forward at all; it looks centered in the fender to my eyes... I also like the door handles. As for the 1/4 window, I honestly never noticed before, and still don’t care. Just my two cents.

Cudakiller70

Reaction score
I think these changes to me don’t really change it enough to say Whoa, I’m just not seeing it. Just shows you what a great original design they did on the Cuda. Agree on the too big of rims usually. Like Foose, most of his stuff not all. Here’s a video of a remake on his own truck. I really like these 67-68 trucks too. Notice the changes he made which are realistic for most DIY builders. Only thing is front bumper doesn’t seem to work.

DrEamer

Reaction score
I'm going to have to say I agree with you both. The E bodies have stood the test of time, and no real improvement is needed. As mentioned, three subtle changes, and really do not think they really made a difference to me. I actually prefer the original flush mounted door handles. Also, going along with not liking the o-ring tire treatment that he uses. He however is very talented, a great guy from what I have seen of him.

aussiemark

Reaction score
I totally agree with all the comments above. The Jag door handle sticks up and does not suit the car's design at all, it may work on a 68-70 Charger but not a 70 Cuda. There is nothing wrong with the front wheel position in relation to the front fender it is perfect. As for the shape of the rear window opening it looks better with the sharp corner then trying to round it off that just makes the whole roof line look weird.

Reaction score
Foose, big deal, the fender and roof is fine on these cars. Look at his drawing, the front of the roof behind the windshield doesn’t even resemble the real car. He in his own world.

I’ve always hated those stupid door handles on E-bodies. They are not even handles, just release levers.

Foose handles don’t help the car either.

Rapidfire

Reaction score
Foose, big deal, the fender and roof is fine on these cars. Look at his drawing, the front of the roof behind the windshield doesn’t even resemble the real car. He in his own world.

I’ve always hated those stupid door handles on E-bodies. They are not even handles, just release levers.

Foose handles don’t help the car either.
E body door handles, you either love them or hate them IMO! It is just one the many things that makes them unique. Good old fashion nostalgia. Many vehicles today have the same type of "release levers"! Maybe we should mount a big ol grab bar on the side, that would look real good!? Maybe even some door poppers?

wayne

Reaction score
I have a lot of respect for him but his cars as a whole are too much for me...just not my taste. I thought the rendering of the cuda he did had the proportions wrong to begin with. I love the flush mount door handles. If anything would be kool to design them not to be square...but I would never modify them and not have them flush. He talked about the extreme front overhang on the car...I just don't agree with that on this vehicle. I can understand changing the c pillar corner. Thats pretty kool and subtle.

340challconvert

Reaction score
Generally, I can appreciate the planning, skills and artistry that goes into the building of the cars that he resto-mods. It takes a high level of skills to do what Foose and his crew does and the result is IMO a matter of individual taste; usually not my taste. Resto-mods come in all different flavors for different tastes.
Dino2 (2).gif

timdp

Reaction score
So he extended the wheelbase two inches and rounded the C pillar corner. If he had started with a Challenger, those two things would have already been done...

"Extreme" front overhang? Um, no.

rbbruno3

Reaction score
I don’t own any Hemi cars or highly optioned low production cars so I agree with you Moparmak. I wouldn’t restomod any car like that , but a rusty 318 car have at it

Rob C

Reaction score
I’m all for any owner doing there car there way.
Resto mod? Go for it!
An excellent 100% mint restoration? Go for it!
Day 2 build? Go for it!
Pro tour? Pro Street? 70’s Hot Rod? 2020 Hot Rod?

Go for it!
Big wheeled Chip Foose door handle delete chopped stretched recontoured narrowed etc....

Not my thing! Yuck, puke! Dry heaves!

But, your car your way, go for it!

IMO, Foose is ultra arrogant.

DrEamer

Reaction score
IMO Chip Foose is a master. He can do any car I own.

I would have a hard time turning over my car to him. Not from a quality of work stand point, but the point that if you let him have his way, it becomes his vision, not mine. I have literally spent hundreds of hours researching, dreaming, pondering every part that I want to go into my Challenger. The plan continues to evolve much like many other car owners that decide to built something a little different.

seneca

Reaction score
Foose is selling a TV show every week so he can do what he wants to OTHER peoples cars! I'm very satisfied with what the factory turned out with my Cuda and I don't have a complaint. Kindig also modifies cars to extremes at times. The '67 Coronet that made the cover of Mopar Muscle this month is an example. These are, of course, my opinions; yours may vary!!

Back