• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Hello from oregon

Dart SRT

Reaction score
Hello. My current projects are a 68 Dart and a 68 GTX. The dilemma I am wondering on my dart is the 451 I started to build or 392 crate? Leaning towards 392. Going 833 4 speed. Maybe later cut apart and do modern trans. The b engine seems to have a nicer fit than the 392 in an a body. Like the E body's and a lot of the info crosses over. So here I am.

340challconvert

Reaction score
Dart SRT
:welcome: to FEBO from New Jersey
Be great to see some pics of your Dart and GTX.
Dino2 (2).gif

1972 AAR Cuda

Reaction score
Hello. My current projects are a 68 Dart and a 68 GTX. The dilemma I am wondering on my dart is the 451 I started to build or 392 crate? Leaning towards 392. Going 833 4 speed. Maybe later cut apart and do modern trans. The b engine seems to have a nicer fit than the 392 in an a body. Like the E body's and a lot of the info crosses over. So here I am.
Welcome to the forum!
I Cant say I have done a big block in a Dart (I have a 67), but I know it's a tight fit - I do like the 392 option though. The newer motors are hard to beat for power and driveability...
I have done the big block swap in my Barracuda and that was very easy to do.
The factory big block A-body (383) had a special block and K-member if I remember correctly.

DrEamer

Reaction score
Welcome from another Oregon member. Always great to see someone else from the state. What part of the state are you from, if you don't mind sharing. As far as the the engines you mentioned, the B block will go into the the GTX without any real work. As noted above, it will take some work to get into the Dart. I looked into the Gen 3 Hemi as well for my Challenger. I ended up on going with a stroked 5.9 Magnum, just because it will fit with no real modification, and looks correct. The only real draw backs for me was dealing with some of the electronics for the Gen 3 conversion, and the expense. The plus side is that the market continues to support the newer engine, and will continue to grow, verses the older engines as the supply drys up.

Hemi392

Reaction score
Welcome from another Oregon member. Always great to see someone else from the state. What part of the state are you from, if you don't mind sharing. As far as the the engines you mentioned, the B block will go into the the GTX without any real work. As noted above, it will take some work to get into the Dart. I looked into the Gen 3 Hemi as well for my Challenger. I ended up on going with a stroked 5.9 Magnum, just because it will fit with no real modification, and looks correct. The only real draw backs for me was dealing with some of the electronics for the Gen 3 conversion, and the expense. The plus side is that the market continues to support the newer engine, and will continue to grow, verses the older engines as the supply drys up.
where are you located as well. i'm in Canby and it would be nice to talk over some of these issues with someone knowledgeable and local. jcw

DrEamer

Reaction score
where are you located as well. i'm in Canby and it would be nice to talk over some of these issues with someone knowledgeable and local. jcw

I don't know how knowledgeable I am, but willing to share what I know. I am out of Albany. I have a friend that lives in Canby, but have never visited him since he moved there. Might have to make the trip sometime.

Hemi392

Reaction score
I don't know how knowledgeable I am, but willing to share what I know. I am out of Albany. I have a friend that lives in Canby, but have never visited him since he moved there. Might have to make the trip sometime.
always welcome... just give me a heads up..

Hemi392

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum!
I Cant say I have done a big block in a Dart (I have a 67), but I know it's a tight fit - I do like the 392 option though. The newer motors are hard to beat for power and driveability...
I have done the big block swap in my Barracuda and that was very easy to do.
The factory big block A-body (383) had a special block and K-member if I remember correctly.
what big block did you do in your barracuda??

Dart SRT

Reaction score
Hi guys. Here is a picture of the dart burried in stuff in the garage. The GTX is burried in in the snow under a cover right now. Located in the Columbia Gorge. The GTX will get it's it's original 440 rebuilt. Hopefully this month I will get a few things done on dart.

IMG_20191201_145204142.jpg

Hemi392

Reaction score
Hi guys. Here is a picture of the dart burried in stuff in the garage. The GTX is burried in in the snow under a cover right now. Located in the Columbia Gorge. The GTX will get it's it's original 440 rebuilt. Hopefully this month I will get a few things done on dart.

View attachment 65504
looks good

Hemi392

Reaction score
It was an E-body Barracuda, not an A-body. The E-bodies are very similar to the B-body engine bay, so a lot of stuff swaps straight across.
i think i am going the Gen 3 route in my 70 cuda so trying to get prepared for the problems up front and not repeat other mistakes. thought i would use the 727 with the 392 but not sure what motor mounts work and with this combo if i need to make, or get, a new trans cross member

Hemi392

Reaction score
Why not the 5 spd auto?
i'm old school. i understand the old stuff and the 727 is a good strong tranny that will hold up to the 485-510 hp of the 392. So far with the research i have done it looks like the 392 / 727 combo will fit without cutting the tunnel and the new tranny's take a computer to run as well as cutting. So dealing with the computer on the 392 is consuming my old school brain right now so i was going to wait a few years and then tackle it or go stock 4 speed or Tremmik 5 speed. i am still trying to figure out how the 727 kick down is going to work with the 392. if anyone can shed some light it would be appreciated.

1972 AAR Cuda

Reaction score
i'm old school. i understand the old stuff and the 727 is a good strong tranny that will hold up to the 485-510 hp of the 392. So far with the research i have done it looks like the 392 / 727 combo will fit without cutting the tunnel and the new tranny's take a computer to run as well as cutting. So dealing with the computer on the 392 is consuming my old school brain right now so i was going to wait a few years and then tackle it or go stock 4 speed or Tremmik 5 speed. i am still trying to figure out how the 727 kick down is going to work with the 392. if anyone can shed some light it would be appreciated.
I can understand the technology part - getting it to integrate will take some time.

Hemi392

Reaction score
what i need is someone i can ask question of that's done this and can guide me thru the process. Time? i have a very high patience threshold. the vette took 30 years for a numbers mating rebuild. the cuda gets 2.
IMGP4440.JPG

Back