• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Powerblast - The Real Deal or Snake Oil? You Decide!

wedg2go

Reaction score
Thompson Performance, LLC

My thoughts lean towards the idea IF this is such a great idea, then why didn't all the carburetor manufacturers install this item in their products? Yet their testimonies and video would have you think this is the greatest thing since slice bread.

Really need to check out the testimonies and video.

oldkimmer

Reaction score
I’ve seen the tutorials and don’t think that I’ll ever need them. Kim

Rob C

Reaction score
My thoughts lean towards the idea IF this is such a great idea, then why didn't all the carburetor manufacturers install this item in their products?

Id say the carb makers didn’t install these gizmos because;

1: There actually a new item to the market (Even more so vs how long carbs have been made.) in which may or may of improve the product.
2: There is no true need for them if you know how to tune your carb.
3: Even if they are as good as they say, why would YOU the carb manufacturer pay that guy money to improve your product that YOU personally feel, doesn’t need it.
4: Purchasing and installing them is money spent on the purchase and money spent on installation. This is almost admitting your product has an issue. Would you yourself admit that there is an issue 70 years after you been in the biz?
5: My guess is the carb manufacturers don’t think there is an issue with there product. Why purchase someone’s product if You feel that your product doesn’t need it?

I say if you (anybody really) can actually tune a carb, you may or may not find an advantage with this item. I can tune a carb. When a strange to the car driver, drives the car, they have no idea if it’s fuel injected or carbureted. They are almost always WAY surprised to find out it has a carb.

The only way to know for sure is to dyno the car with and without as well as a blind driving test between A & B.
You just need a few open minded people and someone that can tune that snot out of the carb.

Last edited:

wedg2go

Reaction score
There is a few threads on FABO that talk about them, might want to check this one out.

Anyone try Thompson powerblast plate

I am under the same idea as thesiren74 (on page 2). Adding more components, to block the engineered airflow, seems counter-intuitive (I am still trying to figure out a way to rid those "Pesky" throttle plates --- J/K'g! I'm J/K'g.).

And yet?...I really would like to see some numbers that says otherwise. Free wheelin' revs don't prove much.

Still on the fence with this one, but - "Yes" - I agree with rumblefish360. Can't beat a tuned carb (Great at sea level. Not so at 8000' when you compare to FI, but "Hey," take what you can get. Right?).

Rob C

Reaction score
I’ll just say that if anybody is interested in trying, I’m not going to dissuade them for doing so or mock them in anyway.

I can see a possible benefit. The Holley need less work vs the Carter since they don’t have a ton of tuning parts to curve and recurve over & over again to zero it will in. In fact, most people I see using a Carter style carb immediately put the pump shot arm in the closest hole to the carb and claim that’s correct while they ridicule me for having it in the middle or furthest away hole.

So now we know who knows something......
And who thinks they know something......

gzig5

Reaction score
I would not expect any kind of significant peak power increase with these, but I wouldn't doubt that they can help with throttle response and power at lower engine rpms. These seem to emulate the better fuel atomisation that annular booster provides vs a dogleg. That is not a bad thing as long as the method to provide that better fuel dispersion doesn't hurt something else. Annular boosters are bigger and affect airflow in a given carb.

74Scooter

Reaction score
I have used these on a few Holley carbs 600DP & 750DP and a 600 vac secondary. Just remember these only effect the pump shot. That said.. they seem to work. Throttle response is snappier.

dolphin3111

Reaction score
This thread reminds me of climate change. Someone says the earth is going to burn up in 12 years. They keep saying it over and over, and a lot of people blindly believe it. It might be true, maybe, but no-one has empirical experimental proof that 0.04% CO2 can even cause warming; no one has proof that the Thompson plate works like they claim either.

I guess I’m a "denier" of this carburetor plate too. My Holleys are working just fine, with wonderful throttle response.

74Scooter

Reaction score
This thread reminds me of climate change. Someone says the earth is going to burn up in 12 years. They keep saying it over and over, and a lot of people blindly believe it. It might be true, maybe, but no-one has empirical experimental proof that 0.04% CO2 can even cause warming; no one has proof that the Thompson plate works like they claim either.

I guess I’m a "denier" of this carburetor plate too. My Holleys are working just fine, with wonderful throttle response.

I feel ya. FWIW I think the MMGW stuff would make PT Barnum proud.. will go down as largest scam perpetrated on a global scale ever.

That said. I'd seen their booth at the Goodguys a few years running and finally gave in. Price of admission was in my budget, takes 3 minutes to install and does not interfere with normal operation in any way. Could be placebo/snake oil.... but I like mine.

My2c.

dolphin3111

Reaction score
An empirical test of this fuel deflector piece would not involve a dynamometer. The best way to measure effectiveness is to physically measure the rate of change (acceleration) of crankshaft rpm with a given instantaneous opening of the throttle plates to a pre-determined position.

It is possible, with the right instrumentation to measure accurately the rotational acceleration of the crankshaft. When I was a reliability engineer in a large chemical facility, I had access to such instrumentation. The throttle plates could be actuated with an electrical solenoid to say 3/4 throttle, then released after about between 1 and 2 seconds.

Once set up, one could run a comparison test between the Holley standard shooter nozzle, the Holley tube type shooter nozzle, and the Thompson deflector to find out which device produced the highest acceleration rate of the crankshaft (best throttle response).

-----------------------------------------------------------

One of Holley's solutions to increase the throttle response is the tube type shooter that's been around for a long time.

hly-121-35_xl.jpg

The principle here is a little different, but I believe would be just as effective or possibly more effective than the deflector plates. The fuel stream exits the tubes at high velocity and impinges on the outside of the booster venturis. That disperses and atomizes the fuel mixture at a position near the center of the main venturi diameter where the air velocity is highest.

Thanks for reading.
ED

Adam

Reaction score

Global warming is real....its natural, not man made. This continent used to be covered by ice, then mostly under water...

I would like to see the global warming alarmists explain why both polar ice caps ON MARS have melted in the last ten years, with only one making a slight come back (source NASA) could it be the sun? Could it be that the orbits of the planets are not perfect circles, nah those Martian rovers are putting out too much CO2... thats gotta be it.

Back