• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

74 challenger steering issue

inprogress

Reaction score
25765B31-9D3F-43F6-BDBC-018D06A9662F.jpeg
I have a 74 challenger. Originally a 318. Had a 360 until the other day when I started my 6 month preparing to swap in a 440/727 fitech injection. I spent many months doing my best to prepare everything I would need for the swap but found many many obstacles along the way that are gonna take a bit to get the needed parts to complete all this. My question is; I have always had a lot of slop in my steering wheel and the steering has never been very comforting as I would like. I notice when I turn the wheel side to side that the shaft connected to my steering column moves inward and outward not just in left and right. I tried to get a reman box while the old engine was put but they were all wrong. Is there an adjustment that will remedy this issue? I’ve searched online with nothing promising coming up. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance, Kevin

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Typical wear issue , it can be fixed by rebuilding it but why not put in a Stage 3 box from Steer & Gear or Firm feel

Reaction score
Contact Randy at Steering Solutions. He's in your area, and I have used him many times over the last 20 plus years with steering box problems. He is very knowledgable and can rebuild and tighten up your box.
He has always had fast turn around on any box I sent him, if he doesn't already have one ready to go.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Yes it is , just adjusted for far better feel .
Mopar overengineered the steering boxes as they did with most things in that period so there si virtually no road feel , you can steer the car with fat tires using your baby finger while sitting still , the Stage 3 are a exact factory box but adjusted better so it feels more like modern steering

12sandwich

Reaction score
A Borgeson conversion gives you a much more modern feel, and is an easy bolt in.
I love mine.

moparleo

Reaction score
There have been many options for steering box rebuild companies over the years. Take your pick of any of the majors . They all have a following. Firm Feel, Burgesons, Steering Solutions etc... Do some online searching for E-body steering boxes, check them all out. Now is also the time to rebuild that front end and maybe upgrade your sway bar. There are more things than your box that will add to slop.

inprogress

Reaction score
Thank you all for your input. I tried getting a rebuilt box and all the local parts stores have the same ones and they aren’t for my car. So I’m just looking to buy one online that will be a direct bolt in. Any links that can be shared are greatly appreciated. The rest of my front end is all tight

12sandwich

Reaction score
I can’t wait to take a road trip soon, as this setup feels so much better. Super tight, all the slop, and crazy no feel steering is gone, and the ratio is much faster.
jegs and Summit both sell
One member on here got a hundred off his through jegs recently.

C0F6E0F0-6E58-4EA8-9CD4-CAA8FE4463B0.jpeg

D4BBB0EF-1250-4543-8BBA-88A7AD527690.jpeg

volunteer

Reaction score
Never had any issues with my factory boxes over the past 45 years of combined uses. Changing fluid (reg.hydraulic - not ATF) every few years or about 5000 miles or so) can go a long way towards having a box survive for decades. Worm shaft seal may eventually 'weep' but pitman seal rarely. There are even factory or aftermarket 'coolers' which connect to return hose.
Follow tips for rare but minor adjustments and replace hoses every 10 years or 50K. miles for peace of mind. New or exchange boxes not cheap and factory piece a must for originality (if that matters).

coyote42

Reaction score
I can’t wait to take a road trip soon, as this setup feels so much better. Super tight, all the slop, and crazy no feel steering is gone, and the ratio is much faster.
jegs and Summit both sell
One member on here got a hundred off his through jegs recently.

View attachment 66601

View attachment 66602
Hi, I just saw your post. What part number was your gear box and coupler? I was just looking at JEGS. What year is your car? mine is 73.

Back