• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

What type original wheels for my 71 challenger?

MerlinsMopars

Reaction score
Anyone know how to find out what rims were original for my 71 challenger. I was told it had 15" on it but my question is rallye or what. Any info would help.

djais1801

Reaction score
The build sheet/window sticker is the only way to tell...fender tag won't have that info

challenger6pak

Reaction score
You can make an educated guess depending on what motor came in the car from the factory. What motor did it come with?

340challconvert

Reaction score
1971 Challenger RT
Thanks to Barry Washington

71_Challenger0009.jpg

Last edited:

340challconvert

Reaction score
Looks like the F-70-14 were standard on a 340 car with the E60-15 on 7 in rims optional. Either option required HD suspension and HD drum or disc brakes
(HD suspension was standard on an RT anyway)
As dj mentioned; build sheet to tell for sure! otherwise, you can only "guestimate".
The 15" were usually rallye wheels.
The 14" in. wheels could have been standard 5" rims, rallye's, road wheels or even hub caps with and w/o trim rings.
Dino2 (2).gif

MerlinsMopars

Reaction score
Is this the collapsable spare? Its the original 1.
Thanks

340challconvert

Reaction score
dj is right; they are rare! Yours is in better condition then mine.

Merlin, I see yours still has the original white sticker with the directions, the inflate bottle and the bracket that holds the bottle. All hard to find.
Originals should also have a white inspection paint dab. The original inflate bottles; they do sell empty reproductions now.
Pic of my original that has been sitting in the trunk for 50 years. (a 7.75 -14 BF Goodridge)
upload_2020-1-9_15-6-27.png
Dino2 (2).gif

challenger6pak

Reaction score
@413 Some cars were built as packages. Some of these packages included an only engine and an only wheel. It is possible to know what wheel came on a car if it has one of these packages even without a build sheet.

Reaction score
Yes Ok, BUT, if it came with 15” wheels, you still don’t know if it was rallies or steel wheels.

You can guess, but you won’t know 100%.

That space saver tire could have been swapped in to save room for weekend road trips.

Guys have owned two or 3 of the same car since the early days. Every convert E body had a space saver so you can’t use that at a guess for 15” wheels.

The red drums could have been worn out replaced. The bare drums could have been painted sometime, or picked up painted ones along the way in the last 5 decades of life.

These cars have been abused, swapped, upgraded, parted out, etc.

440+6 cars came with 14’s all the time. Seems dangerous with the performance potential.

Last edited:

moparlee

Reaction score
Yes Ok, BUT, if it came with 15” wheels, you still don’t know if it was rallies or steel wheels.

You can guess, but you won’t know 100%.

That space saver tire could have been swapped in to save room for,p weekend road trips.

Guys have owned two or 3 of the same car since the early days. Every convert E body had a space saver so you can’t use that at a guess for 15” wheels.

The red drums could have been worn out replaced. The bare drums could have been painted sometime, or picked up painted ones along the way in the last 5 decades of life.

These cars have been abused, swapped, upgraded, parted out, etc.

440+6 cars came with 14’s all the time. Seems dangerous with the performance potential.

I didn't say that it had ralleys or that it had steel wheels. I only said that IF the collapsible spare was original to the car it would have had 15" wheels. I didn't specify which ones. And I only said that the collapsible was required for convertibles, not that they would have had 15" wheels.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
So just to clarify, the collapsible spare was the same size wether your convertible had 14” or 15”
Wheels?

MerlinsMopars

Reaction score
That paper states its a required option when the car is optioned with 15" wheels and my car isnt a covertible so then i take it came with the 15s then.guess i gotta get the build sheet outa there to check what rims were.

moparlee

Reaction score
That paper states its a required option when the car is optioned with 15" wheels and my car isnt a covertible so then i take it came with the 15s then.guess i gotta get the build sheet outa there to check what rims were.
Correct on the 15" and the build sheet for the rim type.

challenger6pak

Reaction score
If 15's, it will be steel wheels with red circle hub caps or ralley rims.

Back