• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Installing gas tank braces to the two piece trunk floor.

340challconvert

Reaction score
I am placing the gas tank braces as close as possible to the measurements on my old trunk floor (removed) and drilling the braces for the plug welds. Two piece replacement trunk floor.
It looks like the original braces were welded from the inside of the trunk?
Any secrets on placing the braces correctly?

IMG_5386.jpg

Dino2 (2).gif

IMG_5381.jpg

Last edited:

AUSTA

Reaction score
Just place as per the originals i used a couple of tek screws to hold then welded in place the centres of the braces should match the centres of the tank strap recesses
It possible they appear to be welded from the top as the braces are thicker metal & absorbed more of the heat than the top

Adam

Reaction score
Can you mock it up with your gas tank before welding?

340challconvert

Reaction score
Can you mock it up with your gas tank before welding?

Adam, thanks for your thought on this. Good idea

I spaced out the braces with screws as close as possible to my old trunk floor.
Had to careful since I am using the two piece AMD floor and there is slight overlap between the panels.
Also, the tank braces are a little less wide then the originals.
I am going to lay the trunk panels in with clamps (which I had done previously) then see how the braces match the tank straps before I weld the braces onto the trunk floor.

Any other thoughts are welcome.

IMG_5401.JPG

Last edited:

Adam

Reaction score
Looking very nice. It is not super critical at the rear because the j-bolts have some lateral play, but if your strips fit the grooves in the tank, which can be oversized, you will be good to go.

340challconvert

Reaction score
Austa
I thought the same thing; when I examined the original trunk floor, the tank braces looked like they were spot welded from the top/inside the trunk.

I will drill holes in the braces for spot welding from below. Just in the process of making sure the braces are spaced properly for fitting the tank.
Just place as per the originals i used a couple of tek screws to hold then welded in place the centres of the braces should match the centres of the tank strap recesses
It possible they appear to be welded from the top as the braces are thicker metal & absorbed more of the heat than the top

340challconvert

Reaction score
Has anyone used a portable spot welder to do certain welds like the tank braces to the bottom trunk panel. Since I have the two piece floor, the spot welder could be used to do the braces without drilling holes. Reviews give this unit a good rating granted you make sure all the paint is off the area where the panel/brace would meet.
Any thoughts on this? This unit is 120 v and sells for $170 with a 4 1/2 * Star rating.

61ci5PwpjXL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

Dino2 (2).gif

Back