• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

1 vs 4 piston disc brake

70cuda50

Reaction score
in researching front disc conversion kits for the Cuda I have seen 1 And 4 four piston kits. Is there any advantage to one over the other. I ultimately just want an easy bolt on kit that will stop the car the best with a 440.

Rich G.

Reaction score
I would think if you’re doing auto cross and really beating on the car 4 piston would be better but for regular cruising Mopar just used single piston calipers.

moparleo

Reaction score
Single piston- Only 1 moving part. Fine for every day street driving. Economical.
Multi-piston- more brake force, more even brake pad pressure, high initial cost.

Last edited:

rogue

Reaction score
I can't speak to scientific differences in performance of 1 v 4 piston calipers but I put wilwood kits with 4 piston calipers on both my cars and i've been happy with the performance and they were easy to install

Knock Out

Reaction score
Happy with wilwood 4 piston and hydra boost
Some suspension upgrades won’t hurt either if like mountain roads

Moparwer!

Reaction score
I just purchased the LEEDS two piston front conversion kit for E bodies with the drilled and slotted rotors. Got it from PST (Performance Suspension Technology). It was about the only disc brake conversion kit I could find that fits the stock 14" Rallye wheels and is a complete bolt on kit requiring no spindle change. I'll let you know how it turns out. Watch for a thread about it if I remember to take pictures.
20190511_152006.jpg

70cuda50

Reaction score
looking forward to your thread. I am really looking closely at some of the PST brake kits and torsion bars.

Moparwer!

Reaction score
Used OEM style for the 71 cuda and they are not power, this does a real good job stopping, with a very firm feel

View attachment 59949

Ma Mopar made some heavy duty stuff. You're doing it the right way using American made OEM Mopar goods. I found the RAMMAN's website after I ordered the PST LEEDS kit and I'm kinda kicking myself in the ass ... but I don't have to change spindles, so at least that's something. I will of coarse keep all my original drum brake parts for any purist later who may own my car.

1970RTSE

Reaction score
Happy with wilwood 4 piston and hydra boost
Some suspension upgrades won’t hurt either if like mountain roads
At Knock out, I am also contemplating using using Willwood brakes and Hydra boost. What size wheels you running and what size disc did you install

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
The more pistons you have to move the harder it can be to stop , we swapped from single piston front & drum rear on a friends car to 20 pistons 6 each front & 4 each rear , drum brakes stop better , the next step is hydro boost to get enough assist to work with 20 pistons

Back