• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Fuel tank grommet R&R

70RTSE440

Reaction score
I would like to replace the grommet on my fuel tank on a 1970 Challenger where the fuel filler pipe goes into the tank. I think it leaks if and when I fill the tank full. I would like to do this without taking the tank out. I've taken the rubber cover off that's in the trunk that seals around the filler pipe. I can see and touch the grommet from there. It looks like it might be doable from there but I'm wondering if anyone else has ever done it. It would save a lot of time and work to not have to drop the tank.
Thanks for any thoughts or help.

moparlee

Reaction score
Go for it, nothing to lose trying. If the tank has never been out, usually the hardest part is getting the fill tube out. But if the tank has never been out, now would be a good time to drop it out, clean it, and replace the filter on the sending unit.

70RTSE440

Reaction score
Thanks Moparlee and Rapidfire. Anyone else have any recommendations? Has anyone actually tried to replace the grommet without dropping the tank?

Steve340

Reaction score
I think you may not have to drop the tank right down but you will need to take off the straps to allow the tank to "move away" from the filler tube so you can pull it out of the rubber.
To get at the strap nuts I had to take off the rear valance panel. The nuts were rusty and frozen so I ended up cutting the originals and refitting reproductions.

70RTSE440

Reaction score
Yeah, Projects like this on these 50 year old cars always turns into a lot more work that you originally think. Rusty bolts, removing more pieces, etc. That's why I was hoping to just replace the grommet without having to drop the tank. Next thing you know you're having to buy a bunch more parts and take the whole back end of the car apart.
Thanks for all the help.

Daves69

Reaction score
What's even worse is a grommet that don't really fit. I struggled with repop from one outfit on my A body and finally gave up. Did some research. Purchased one from DMT. Install was a piece of cake.

70RTSE440

Reaction score
Who is DMT and where did the one that didn't fit come from? I was looking at getting one from Roseville Mopar.

Daves69

Reaction score
I believe the loser came from Mega Parts.
Detroit Muscle Tech is a sponsor here I believe........
upload_2020-1-21_10-56-49.png

70RTSE440

Reaction score
Thanks! I'll check it out. I just got a heater box rebuild kit from DMT. I actually bought it from Yearone but it was produced at DMT.

moparlee

Reaction score
I have always gotten good parts from DMT. But Roseville Mopar is also good, there grommet might even be from DMT.

70RTSE440

Reaction score
I just ordered the grommet along with a couple of other gaskets I will be needing. It was cheaper than Roseville and the shipping charges were cheaper too. Looks like I'm committed now to replacing that damn grommet. Hopefully I don't end up having to take the rear valence off and dropping the gas tank and all the fuel lines and floats and sensors etc etc etc :).

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Generally the filler neck is removed first & installed last , but it can be tough to get it loose , once the neck & seal are out changing the tan seal is not hard as long as your hand fits through the trunk floor , use some lube sliding the filler neck / tube back in

MOPARMITCH

Reaction score
I keep a small tub of Vaseline in my shop. I use it when I dont want a petroleum based product for Lube...Have used it on Fuel neck grommets often.....

Steve340

Reaction score
It is petroleum based but it is easily broken down by gasoline. I have seen it as the recommended lube for fuel gaskets many times.
I have used it myself a lot over the years with no issues.
I use WD40 to lube the rubbers while removing things.

70RTSE440

Reaction score
Thanks MoparMitch and Steve340. I actually have some vaseline in my garage from some past project. If you have seen it recommended many times for fuel gaskets and used it yourself with no issues that's what I was wanting to hear. This will be my next little project after I finish rebuilding my heater box and get it put back in.

Back