• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Leg room WTF

brotow

Reaction score
I have a 70 challenger at 5'6" no problem but my Crossfire is another story.

Robert Franke

Reaction score
I'm another leg room challenged guy. 6.3 230ish..I've always done the front seat track spacer trick on my cars, jeeps, trucks ect. All you need is a stack of fender washers...adjust for what you want..amazing how much difference a half inch will make.

moparleo

Reaction score
A coupleof ideas come to mind. Number one, Do you have the six-way seat or the standard ? The six-way seat is too tall for some one who is tall. Number 2, a guy in our car club put late model Challenger seats in his 70 Cuda by slightly widening the space in the floor pan where the seat mounts, this allowed the wider seat to fit and it also drops the seat down in the floor pan pocket giving more head room.

chargerdon

Reaction score
LOL...just the opposite problem here. My wife is about 5'5" she has had a problem trying to drive my 66 Charger... So, on my 74 Challenger, i found an electric power seat track from a jeep i think a 96 model on ebay for only $25. It had a broken frame but the motors and gear all worked..so bought it welded it up and with a lot of fabrication got it to fit to the seat. I knew from the start that the power track would raise the seat at least an inch higher than the standard track even at its lowest height.

So, i fabricated a mounting method that dropped that power track up into under the seat as best i could. Took a lot of fabrication but i did it. With the power seat i have more than enough fore/aft travel for my 6'1" height. Also, it raises high enough for the wife to see out !

Alas, fitting the power track in the lowest i can get the seat is about 1/2 to 1 inch higher than the standard seat track. So, while i have adequate head clearance with the back of the seat lowered as much as it will go, it is a tight fit to get my legs under the steering wheel. But, once in i can drive it just fine. I guess a tilt wheel would help a lot.

i_taz

Reaction score
I'm the same size and when I had a 3sp '72 Barracuda in my 20's I never remember room being a problem and I know I didn't get any taller in 30 yrs. Although it had the smaller 14" 2 spoke wheel but I can't help but think the seat were set differently...

On my '70 Chally I got the Year One brackets and then stacked 1" dia fender washers about 7 in the front and 5 in the back. That gives you some leg support in the front and clears the seat belt retractor.

Then I went with the smaller Gant 246 faux rim blow wheel which didn't help as much as I thought being there 15". I could write a whole thread on that POS...

On the bright side I've never had headroom problems before or after even getting out of the car.

Last edited:

nvstorm

Reaction score
My 70 R/T SE was tight, I'm 6'2" & 250...if you've gone away from a stock wheel anything that's not flat like the stock wheel is going to eat up space, Also the suggestion to tilt the seat will work well..

Mastertech

Reaction score
I have long arms and found the steering wheel was too close to be comfortable. I took the accordion crush sleeve off and put into a press and squeezed it down about an inch. Not sure if this is advised but it works.

i_taz

Reaction score
So it really is a 'crush' can...? I never knew whether to believe it would do much
of anything in a crash...Do u hav a pic...?

btw...if you use the Year One seat relocation brackets don't forget the passenger side too...

6PKRTSE

Reaction score
Try getting in and out of my 70' Challenger. Lol. At least I made a removeable steering wheel adapter to my wood grain wheel so that helps.

20150424_205804_resized_1.jpg

20191127_221528.jpg

Avalanche

Reaction score
A b-body crush can does the same thing. It's not as long and bolts right up. I tried this and it does move the wheel closer to the dash, but since the steering column comes at an angle up, it also moves the steering wheel closer to your knees. I didn't like the wheel so low and went back to the factory crush can.

Back