• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Thanks - Good to join the group!

Reaction score
Originally from upstate New York - then long stints in Maryland and Virginia. Now residing in Delaware. Retired. I own a "Petty blue" 73 Challenger - 2 dr Rallye hardtop - 318 V8 - 3 speed stick - 84K miles. Bought it brand new in April 1973. Its 100% stock. Had a ground up restoration in '98. It's won some awards including an AACA Grand National 1st place. Life then got in the way - so I haven't shown it in quite some time. Hoping that in retirement I can make it my daily driver again. Now after 46 years I'd like to move away from it being totally stock. I'm leaning towards resto-mod. Keep the body's stock appearance - but "up dating" suspension, steering, wheels/tires, brakes, and exhaust with today's technology!
One reason for my joining is to get feedback from you all. I would love to hear what has worked for each of you, your recommendations and your advice.
IMG_0150.JPG
IMG_0140.JPG

340challconvert

Reaction score
:welcome: to FEBO from New Jersey
Very cool that you bought the Challenger new and kept it all these years.
Good people here who are always willing to help out!
Congrats on your retirement and looking forward to seeing your work resto-mod work.
Dino2 (2).gif

Reaction score
:welcome: to FEBO from New Jersey
Very cool that you bought the Challenger new and kept it all these years.
Good people here who are always willing to help out!
Congrats on your retirement and looking forward to seeing your work resto-mod work.
View attachment 67865
Thanks for your response. The back story is my dad was with me when I bought the car. On the way home he lamented that he wished he hadn't gotten rid of his first car - a '37 Plymouth. Then and there I made a promise to myself - never to get rid of my car. My dad's long gone - but the car's still here - so too happy memories of dad.

bennydodge

Reaction score
Wow, very nice Challenger! I think it's cool to see one stock and really nice. Me personally, I would leave it the way it sits and find something else to modify. Does it drive nice down the road and run strong? My experience with aftermarket stuff has been a mixed bag of misery, re-engineering and general disappointment. Be ready to exercise your brain and wallet if you make major changes.

Reaction score
Wow, very nice Challenger! I think it's cool to see one stock and really nice. Me personally, I would leave it the way it sits and find something else to modify. Does it drive nice down the road and run strong? My experience with aftermarket stuff has been a mixed bag of misery, re-engineering and general disappointment. Be ready to exercise your brain and wallet if you make major changes.
Thanks very much! Engine runs good - but suspension/handling is loose. Typical play in the steering, etc. However, when I hit 70mph - the car sits down and drives straight as an arrow...just can't drive 70 all the time.:)

Reaction score
Welcome to the Madness !!!!
Amen brother! Know of any shops or individuals in the area that specialize in '70-'74 MOPAR repairs? I have an idea as to what I want - and the budget - but need to bounce it off someone who has done this before. The shop that did the restoration in '98 closed a number of years back. Haven't been at a dance in a long time! Thanks for writing!

bennydodge

Reaction score
Thanks very much! Engine runs good - but suspension/handling is loose. Typical play in the steering, etc. However, when I hit 70mph - the car sits down and drives straight as an arrow...just can't drive 70 all the time.:)

I imagine you can improve/fix what you have now but with stock stuff it will never drive like a new car-if that's what you're after. Does it have power steering? Mine has power assist and drives fairly straight at slower speeds. I once drove an E-body with manual steering and the car wandered around at slower speeds but settled down nicely at higher speeds, as you described.

Reaction score
I imagine you can improve/fix what you have now but with stock stuff it will never drive like a new car-if that's what you're after. Does it have power steering? Mine has power assist and drives fairly straight at slower speeds. I once drove an E-body with manual steering and the car wandered around at slower speeds but settled down nicely at higher speeds, as you described.

Yes, to power steering. I am seriously thinking going resto-mod. I'll drive it more if it has today's suspension/handling characteristics (looking at RMS AlterKtion). Plus i'd like larger wheels and tires 235/245 15/16 or 17 (?) front and rear for handling. Definitely a cruiser - NOT for strip.

moparlee

Reaction score
Welcome to the site from Michigan. Glad you kept your promise to keep your Challenger all these years:thumbsup:. Keep us posted on your project.

rbbruno3

Reaction score
Welcome Aboard DW, nice looking 1 owner Challenger. Drop in a 5 speed A/C new steering box And see how it goes. I like it how it is but see your point too. Keep us posted what you decide :thumbsup:

WDO72

Reaction score
Welcome from CA! You have a very cool car there. Have fun with the upgrades!

Reaction score
Welcome Aboard DW, nice looking 1 owner Challenger. Drop in a 5 speed A/C new steering box And see how it goes. I like it how it is but see your point too. Keep us posted what you decide :thumbsup:
Thanks - appreciate your thoughts. Funny you mention A/C. My wife thinks that that is the highest priority. Are you speaking of a Tremec TKO 5 speed?

rbbruno3

Reaction score
I have the Tremec TKO in mine. I love it, great around town or on the highway.

Back