• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Cam selection for another build

MerlinsMopars

Reaction score
I'm sure this gets asked alot, but I'd like to get some ideas other than whats in my head. I pulled the motor in my 71 challenger rt 340 4 sp which is a # matching car due to it sitting for 30+ years. I was hoping to just clean it up and fire it but, of course, there was underlying issues. It had an intake manifold leaking some antifreeze in the galley and surface rust thru out. It did turn freely tho so im now having it cooked and gonna go thru the whole motor. I have the racer brown ssh44 in another 340 a body and the cr is around 10.2. Comp rollers 1.5s.Its a very angry, aggressive cam which I wanted it to be but actually supprised me with the nastiness. With the challenger, I have power brakes and was looking at the voodoo 10200703 which is what lunati and most guys seem to like, and I have a purple shaft 508 which i was considering to save some funds. The 340 has stock j heads with 2.02s in em and I got the same comp 1.5 roller rockers for it. The pistons are trw i think. Heres a pic. I will probably just re use them as the cyl walls had no lip so hopefully it wont need bored. Really, im just after a fairly aggressive cam that will work with the power brakes and I dont really like the idea of having to add springs after breakin as lunati suggests but a stock 340 cam isnt gonna make me happy either. Been there before and it gets me to a point where i have to just be happy but I always want more. Guidance is very much welcome cuz thats what this site is all about and thx for the input.

20200202_175905.jpg

Adam

Reaction score
Select a cam based on what you intend to use the car for. E.g drag racing, street, etc. The 340 has a relatively short stroke, 3.31, same as a 318. This revs well but gives up some torque on the low end. The 340 makes good power at higher revs.... more cam duration moves the power band up in the rpm band, generally at the cost of low end torque. It is a balancing act. Some cams claim to do both; a lot of reading & comparison is in your future.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
The Lunati Voodoo series cams work very well , I use a lot of them , the 703 is a good choice

MerlinsMopars

Reaction score
The Lunati Voodoo series cams work very well , I use a lot of them , the 703 is a good choice
I am going with the lunati 703 after talking with them. Seems like a good bet with power brakes and 4 speed. What power valve do you suggest with that? I am using a holley 750 brawler. Also do have any timing suggestions? That will be the msd 6al and billet dist.
Thx

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
You need to test the vacuum at idle & use a Power valve 2 " lower rated , I am thinking 4.5 should work

Back