• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

It’s home! Let’s get started

Gaderider

Reaction score
E42F4822-BA83-454E-A91A-979E1EBF82CB.jpeg
We’ve had it for way too long and haven’t done near enough work to it (really it could have been on the road already) but enough of that. It’s been parked and stored in Dads garage and I brought it home this summer and got it up in the air. When we first bought it we did the floor pan and trunk floor, inner wheel well and quarter panels and fabbed up a rear sub frame from 2x3 box tube that we plated and gusseted. After that we stalled out and life took over.

Gaderider

Reaction score
A5ED1954-4DFB-42F1-8CAE-A0892B910C95.jpeg
Now that it’s home and I’ve had a better look at things, it appears there has been some minor collision repairs (poorly done) nothing that some new parts won’t fix. My vin decoding tells me it was a 318 car unfortunately I don’t have a fender tag (poorly done repairs) and I didn’t find any build sheets anywhere. My son is pretty interested in what’s going on with the car, he’s 5 so maybe the start of another car guy!

Gaderider

Reaction score
BBD7F5CB-BFEF-4195-B063-ED40DCECF306.jpeg
It appears the car was blue originally (can anyone help ID the blue) then painted yellow at some point, we bought it in primer with a 340 and a 4speed. I’m guessing it’s an original manual transmission car the tunnel doesn’t seem to be cut up. It’s got an all black interior if it’s original or not I don’t know but it will stay. Anybody know any other ways to figure out original equipment without fender tag or build sheets?

Gaderider

Reaction score
A896CA45-C6C2-4057-8576-CE034888CB44.jpeg
32A82BFB-C120-436A-A02D-6EE588A8248A.jpeg
1st thing I’m going to tackle is the driver side front frame rail, Ive sprayed everything with penetrating oil and will slowly be knocking the front end apart. I won’t be reusing any of the original front end since my plan is to go with an AlterKtion front end.

RJHJR

Reaction score
Looks like EB-5 blue to me. Without the tag and the build sheet all you've got are clues. If it is a 318 with the original hump it was probably a 318 3 spd. I'll try to get a picture that will help later. The radiator support will be wider if it had air. The underside of the trunk will be different if it had a luggage rack. The dash will have clues about AC and radio options if it was not altered or replaced. The rims are not original - they are part of the A66 340 performance package most likely. The rearend is probably a 3.23 open unless it too was altered or replaced. Spin one tire and if he other one goes the same way it is posi. If it is a 3.55 gear there will/should be a tag on the pumpkin - otherwise you'll have to do the math on revolutions. If the leaf springs were replaced the number of leaves will be greater than a 318 car. Numbers on the block and gear box will tell you from where it came. There may be evidence of a vinyl top but that's easy to erase. If it had a RHS mirror you can see the holes on the inside - probably did not. Fun car. Good luck!

Cody Goode

Reaction score
Man how exciting! looks like b5 blue(which is a gorgeous color) but I could be wrong. hard to tell without a fender tag or build sheet what the original car was but unless youre building a points car or for resell just build the car to how you want it! and what an awesome project for you to keep your son out in the garage with you. heck he might even take it to prom like I did with the car me and my pop built!

Gaderider

Reaction score
what size tire are you running on the rears?

The rims and tires are what came on the car when we bought it, the back are 255/60/15 and the front are 215/70/14. I’m not planning on using these wheels, I want to go 17” minimum but keep a similar staggered look. I really liked the stance the car had when we got it, may bring it down an inch not sure yet.

Gaderider

Reaction score
Looks like EB-5 blue to me. Without the tag and the build sheet all you've got are clues. If it is a 318 with the original hump it was probably a 318 3 spd. I'll try to get a picture that will help later. The radiator support will be wider if it had air. The underside of the trunk will be different if it had a luggage rack. The dash will have clues about AC and radio options if it was not altered or replaced. The rims are not original - they are part of the A66 340 performance package most likely. The rearend is probably a 3.23 open unless it too was altered or replaced. Spin one tire and if he other one goes the same way it is posi. If it is a 3.55 gear there will/should be a tag on the pumpkin - otherwise you'll have to do the math on revolutions. If the leaf springs were replaced the number of leaves will be greater than a 318 car. Numbers on the block and gear box will tell you from where it came. There may be evidence of a vinyl top but that's easy to erase. If it had a RHS mirror you can see the holes on the inside - probably did not. Fun car. Good luck!

I was leaning towards EB-5 as well but have a hard time with colours, thanks for the other info! I haven’t seen any evidence of a luggage rack but I think the lid has been replaced (brown paint). Not sure about a vinyl top yet and I don’t see evidence of a mirror, the motor and tranny are stored away for now but I remember determining the motor was a 340 and had X heads on it. Gonna have to look into ac, it’s gonna get it anyway.

Cody Goode

Reaction score
The rims and tires are what came on the car when we bought it, the back are 255/60/15 and the front are 215/70/14. I’m not planning on using these wheels, I want to go 17” minimum but keep a similar staggered look. I really liked the stance the car had when we got it, may bring it down an inch not sure yet.

well shucks if that's the case depending on where you're at I would be very interested in the rears

Gaderider

Reaction score
well shucks if that's the case depending on where you're at I would be very interested in the rears

Your a little early! The wheels and all the other parts that I don’t use will be available but unfortunately not at this time, sorry! I plan on hanging on to what comes off the car until I have replacements / upgrades to put back on just in case I have to move it for some reason.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
I would suggest you drive a car with the alterkation Before you write the check , they don't steer very well really & the brakes are Pinto , I would rather do the QA1 K frame with Hotchkiss parts , it will steer & handle far better

Gaderider

Reaction score
New steel! Got my frame rail yesterday, Dad went and picked it up for me while I was at work. Unfortunately Dad didn’t know that amd frame rails come with the shock tower and only brought home the rail. A call today to the shop we bought from has them looking for the shock tower.

B5A86B1E-40FA-4A1F-853B-9A3FC0AAE109.jpeg

Gaderider

Reaction score
Here comes the pile of parts! Everything was going well and coming off fairly easy until I backed off the torsion bar adjusters. Passenger side came out pretty easy considering age and soaking in penetrating oil for a couple weeks, driver side started easy then decided to be stubborn and stop turning. A little heat got things moving again until the bolt broke, now it’s about half way out but still have the bar loaded. Had to be something break everything else was too easy coming out!

0AF7384D-364E-4BF0-BAAD-7292DF9B9E18.jpeg

wayne

Reaction score
Let the fun begin! You have a great looking project. I agree with Chryco.... I would never put a rack & pinion in.

Gaderider

Reaction score
Heard back about the missing shock tower, apparently it didn’t get packed with the rail on AMD’s end. It will come when they get the next shipment from AMD, hopefully I don’t have to wait on the part coming in to continue rebuilding!

rklein71

Reaction score
View attachment 66356 Now that it’s home and I’ve had a better look at things, it appears there has been some minor collision repairs (poorly done) nothing that some new parts won’t fix. My vin decoding tells me it was a 318 car unfortunately I don’t have a fender tag (poorly done repairs) and I didn’t find any build sheets anywhere. My son is pretty interested in what’s going on with the car, he’s 5 so maybe the start of another car guy!

Sounds like you are going to do significant improvements to the car, so I think the fender tag and build sheets add no value to your car. They are interesting at best. I have attached a picture of my 71 BHG, long past stock. Rod

IMG_4664.JPG

Gaderider

Reaction score
Sounds like you are going to do significant improvements to the car, so I think the fender tag and build sheets add no value to your car. They are interesting at best. I have attached a picture of my 71 BHG, long past stock. Rod

View attachment 67956
I agree it won’t add any value, but I would have liked to see it regardless. I like to know the backstory of things, when the ownership was switched we found I was the 4th registered owner of a car that’s been registered in a 150km radius since it was purchased in 1970.

rbbruno3

Reaction score
I have the RMS front suspension in my Challenger (street version). Handles good, stops good

Back