• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Progress on Todd's 71 Challenger

Rocky

Reaction score

Adam

Reaction score
Engine Bay Progress....looking for ideas to patch the areas around the wiper motor....don't want to rip out the entire fire wall. I am on a budget like all of us....any ideas???

View attachment 66208

View attachment 66209

View attachment 66210

View attachment 66211

View attachment 66212

View attachment 66213
You can replace the just wiper cowl and patch the holes underneath that you will find. Using a spot weld cutter will make the task bearable. The bottom of the cowl was bare metal from the factory, I believe you will find much more rust than you can see on the top.

Cowl Section | AMD 360-1570-1

Todd Jackson

Reaction score
Not bad for my first attempts. This is after practicing a bit on scrap. Working the areas no one will see first! LOL....

IMG_2690.JPG

IMG_2691.JPG

IMG_2692.JPG

IMG_2693.JPG

MerlinsMopars

Reaction score
Welding can be a pain in the @$$ but soon we probably won't be able to even buy the repops anymore so, fabricater's we become. Keep going and it will all pay off when your done and go for that cruise. I've used an aluminum block behind pitted stuff and it helps alot to just fill back in. Mine is original so its gotta stay that way but I kinda want an e body to just build into whatever i prefer to have in there. 440-hemi etc. Looking forward to seeing it when your done.

Todd Jackson

Reaction score
Welding can be a pain in the @$$ but soon we probably won't be able to even buy the repops anymore so, fabricater's we become. Keep going and it will all pay off when your done and go for that cruise. I've used an aluminum block behind pitted stuff and it helps alot to just fill back in. Mine is original so its gotta stay that way but I kinda want an e body to just build into whatever i prefer to have in there. 440-hemi etc. Looking forward to seeing it when your done.
I call it "mini fab." It if's an area smaller than a few inches I will fab. Larger pieces I will buy prefab. The rear right Trunk floor is an example. I had to remove the frame frail from the axle - back. That was hosed. And the floor has rusted away from the wheel well......

Todd Jackson

Reaction score
Passenger side Trunk repair today. Once I grind the welds down I will use a little filler to smooth it in top and bottom. From Fab to install about an hour.

IMG_2706.JPG

IMG_2707.JPG

IMG_2704.JPG

IMG_2703.JPG

IMG_2705.JPG

Todd Jackson

Reaction score
Looking for a good string to install the Auto Console Brackets to the floor.....HELP a brother! Todd

Todd Jackson

Reaction score
Got after the rear right today. This is the worst part of the rot. Everything else is small patches.....

Trunk 1 Wheel Well.JPG

Trunk 2 Wheel Well.jpg

Trunk 3 Wheel Well.jpg

IMG_2747.jpg

IMG_2750.jpg

IMG_2752.jpg

IMG_2753.jpg

fasjac

Reaction score
Like your work ethic! Looking good. I know you have a ways to go but, keep it up.
I’ll look around for the automatic console bracket placement demissions.

MerlinsMopars

Reaction score
Wow! You weren't kidding about the rot. Lookin good tho. I'm glad to see that you are saving it. All I got to do is sand and paint and seeing that gives me incentive.

fasjac

Reaction score
I did find this for what it worth. They’re saying the rear bracket location is the same. If true, could make it easier.

18187047-1BFD-4F75-85E6-87D271C467DC.png

Todd Jackson

Reaction score
I did find this for what it worth. They’re saying the rear bracket location is the same. If true, could make it easier.

View attachment 69181
Thanks - the previous restoration installed a late 70's console that has a rear bracket mounted. I am going to fit check it today. I also have also seen a procedure where people mount the console brackets to the console and then position it in place and mark the floor....that may be my best bet.

Back